Ubiquity Dreammachine (UPD-Pro) and Pi-hole

I didn't want to manage my DNS resolution in multiple places so I took a slightly different approach.

My router is a Ubiquity Dreammachine (UPD-Pro). I started by getting everything working without the pi-hole in the loop - using DHCP on the UDM-Pro. Once everything was working (local and remote name resolution) I changes the UDM-Pro to tell the DHCP clients to start using the pi-hole as the DNS server.

UDM-Pro IP: 172.24.5.1
Pi-hole IP: 172.24.5.2

On the pi-hole I then configured the upstream DNS server to be my UDM-Pro router and unticked Never forward non-FQDNs.

This way the pi-hole will filter out the bad records but forward all other requests to the UDM-Pro to resolve:

pi-hole: Settings>DNS

UDM-Pro: Settings>Networks>LAN>Advanced

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

i just sign up to thank you.
i recently bought a udm-pro and had an issue with accessing my local devices with their hostnames.local.
after following your guide it worked perfectly.

thanks a lot

That looks like the perfect solution to all this. I'm currently using pihole as it DHCP and I can't go back ro using static IPs for all my LXC containers. Having resolution of local hostnames us too much of a win. I was not sure about getting a UDM pro for this very reason, but now I think I will.
Does this work if you set a doman like .home ?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.