Trying to access LAN pc in network through windows explorer returns NXDOMAIN

I recently installed myself a Pi-hole on a orangepizero with a 64gb sdcard I had laying around

I updated to the latest beta build for the NXDOMAIN blocking through FTLDNS

Everything works fine with the exception that when I try to access a PC in my network it replies with a NXDOMAIN (shown in the query log)

I can ping the IP fine but if I ping the computer name (in this case it's actually pc-name.speedport.ip) it only works with changing my DNS to not-pihole

Debug Token: yaxtcml1gq

You need to enable DHCP on Pi to be able to query using computer names, it says so on the settings page:
"Conditional Forwarding
If not configured as your DHCP server, Pi-hole won't able to determine the names of devices on your local network. As a result, tables such as Top Clients will only show IP addresses."

On that note

My router says that if I disable DHCP, ipv6 ip addresses will still be assigned.

Will that conflict with pi-holes DHCP ?

IPv6 is a much more advanced protocol compared to IPv4. It supports self-management and doesn't depend on any DHCP technqiues.

you can also add your local Router as DNS Server for Pi-hole and uncheck > "never forward non-FQDNs" inside settings

that also enables resolving the Names of the local Clients inside the Dasshboard

OT: I see in your pic that you have selected multiple DNS sources in the interface.
Why is that?

thought about it as a fallback solution even if i dont think that the Google or opendns Service will have any downtime at all... while they are both reacheble pi-hole uses them 50/50 (or 33/33/33)

when i look at this

perhaps its will be the best solution to use the level 3 Servers...

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.