Trouble adding big blacklist

There has to be a simpler way to do this. I have a rather large blacklist file downloaded... I've renamed it... I've enabled SSH on my raspi... I use tunnelier to access the filesystem... so I should be able to just simply connect and overwrite the file.... but nope, it ain't doin' it. Is the adlist.default file locked and I need to kill the pi-hole process in order to overwrite it? If so, anyone got a disable/renable command? What's the trick here?!

adlists.default should not be modified. You are looking for adlists.list. However, you do not add the raw blacklist domains to there. Instead, add the URL of the blocklist you want to use to it and run pihole -g. You can also add the URL via the web interface.

1 Like

Something's not jiving... I made a new file called 'adlists.list'... added one line to the file "https://smokingwheels.github.io/Pi-hole/allhosts"... and attempted to drop the file into '/etc/.pihole/' ...but it denies me permission to add files to the directory.

It isn't that steep, especially if you read the FAQ I linked. You need to modify adlists.list in /etc/pihole, not /etc/.pihole

And you need to use sudo when editing this file as it is a system wide file owned by either user pihole or root but not by user pi.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.