Tried going to FTLDNS, issues and can't get back to stable

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Ran apt-get update and upgrade
Followed instructions at Help Us Beta Test FTLDNS – Pi-hole

Actual Behaviour:

Had issues at the checkout phase. Now, can't run the pi-hole installer. Can't update local repositories. Core Pi-hole repo is missing.

Still able to access the web gui. Doesn't show a Pi-Hole version Pi-hole Version vDev (HEAD, ) Web Interface Version v3.3 FTL Version v3.0

Debug Token:

[✓] Your debug token is: 8c725iol73

Please try the Release 4.0 branch of master. This has all the FTLDNS features plus more.

pihole -up
echo release/v4.0 | sudo tee /etc/pihole/ftlbranch 
pihole checkout core release/v4.0 
pihole checkout web release/v4.0
1 Like

Thanks jfb. Getting an error when trying to run pihole -up

pihole -up
/opt/pihole/update.sh: line 23: /etc/.pihole/automated install/basic-install.sh: No such file or directory
/opt/pihole/update.sh: line 99: : No such file or directory
/opt/pihole/update.sh: line 102: is_repo: command not found

Error: Core Pi-hole repo is missing from system!
Please re-run install script from https://pi-hole.net

Trying to rerun the installer to hopefully overwrite whatever is causing the issue also finishes with an error

[✓] Check for existing repository in /etc/.pihole
[i] Update repo in /etc/.pihole...
Error: Could not update local repository. Contact support.

Your best bet at this point might be to save your settings via teleporter, then uninstall and reinstall Pi-Hole from the curl script (curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash), then move to release 4.0. We can do some troubleshooting, but it will likely be quicker on your part to reinstall.

2 Likes

Ha Roger that.

Sounds like a project for when the wife is working late on Wednesday. Haven't done any customizing so not worried about having to get it up and running from scratch.

Welp I'm an idiot.

Had changed some things around over the weekend, and plugged my pi-hole into an underpowered USB port. That was fine for just having pi-hole running, but once I started trying to switch branches/reinstalling/troubleshooting, it never had enough power to complete things.

Put it into the right USB port, and all is right in the world.

Good that it's fixed. But, still go to the 4.0 branch for the improvements.

Thanks jfb.

Pi-hole Version vDev (release/v4.0, v3.3-428-g833131e) Web Interface Version v3.3 FTL Version vDev (release/v4.0, vDev-31d5fb9)

Got 4.0 up and running but have an error message appearing in settings.

There was a problem applying your settings.
Debugging information:
PHP error (2): syntax error, unexpected TC_LABEL, expecting '=' in /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf on line 33 in /var/www/html/admin/settings.php:15

There is a problem parsing comments in the file /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf.

Edit that file, remove all the commented lines (leaving just the active commands), then run pihole -restartdns and this should fix it.

2 Likes

Thanks again jfb. Problem solved. They only let me mark one response as a solution in the thread, but everything you have posted has been helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.