Top Client and Domain Permittied from Router

on my dashboard the Top Permitted Domains and my Top Clients are my router. Not sure why this is happening. I'm using Pfsense with my forwarder and resolver turned off and the Pi IP in the General settings and in DHCP. I'm not understanding this behavior. Any suggestions. Thanks.

The top client is your router, which is common with many routers. The router does not pass the client information to Pi-Hole, so all the client DNS queries appear to come from the router. Or, as may be the case in your instance, the router is generating the queries.

The domains shown are reverse IP (PTR) queries. This is a device looking for the host name of the client at that IP address. With PTR requests, the IP is written in reverse, so the top one is a lookup for the name of the client at IP 192.168.1.142.

You have a configuration option to have Pi-Hole not analyze these types of requests. This option is set as described in this section of the Pi-Hole documentation:

https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/configfile/

ANALYZE_ONLY_A_AND_AAAA=true

Thank you, I'll check out that docs page.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.