Too many queries made when 'Conditional Forwarding' is enabled

On Linux and Mac client PC's, whats outcome for below one ?

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Or if its Windows client PC, what does the DNS section display when run below one in a CMD prompt ?

ipconfig /all

Like @Therion87 mentions, you want clients to query the Pi-hole IP address directly and not via your router first.

You can test DNS lookups and blocking on a Linux/Mac/Windows client PC with below ones:

nslookup doubleclick.com

nslookup doubleclick.com <PIHOLE_IP_ADDRESS>

nslookup doubleclick.com 8.8.8.8

1 Like

A restart of router and Pi solved that issue.

So ASUS routers send a few DNS queries every second to check if an internet connection is active or not... After I changed the WAN DNS from my Pi's IP to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, I noticed a downward spike in the graphs, but shortly, a spike in queries from localhost:

So I'm assuming that any DNS query the router will be making (like NS resolution for ping/traceroute) will be forwarded to the IPs set in WAN DNS settings?

For cat /etc/resolv.conf:

MacBook-Pro:~ Agneev$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

macOS Notice

This file is not consulted for DNS hostname resolution, address
resolution, or the DNS query routing mechanism used by most
processes on this system.

To view the DNS configuration used by this system, use:
scutil --dns

SEE ALSO
dns-sd(1), scutil(8)

This file is automatically generated.

domain RT-AC87U
nameserver 10.0.0.6
nameserver 10.0.0.1

For nslookup doubleclick.com:

MacBook-Pro:~ Agneev$ nslookup doubleclick.com
Server: 10.0.0.6
Address: 10.0.0.6#53

Name: doubleclick.com
Address: 0.0.0.0

The Mac has got two DNS servers configured.
This Mac will sometimes also query the not Pi-holed DNS server 10.0.0.1 resulting in the "pi.hole" name not resolving and ads leaking through.

Yeah.

As @Therion87 suggested as a workaround, I had to point my WAN DNS towards 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

I can change the DNS servers on my Mac to 10.0.0.6 only.
But what about other devices in the household?; It's not possible to change DNS everywhere.

@Therion87 posted this bit:

He probably configured his routers DHCP service to push the Pi-hole IP address to his clients for DNS resolution
Can you post screenshots of your router's DHCP settings ?
If settings lacking/missing, you can disable the DHCP service on the router and use Pi-hole's own DHCP service as a replacement:

So did I.

My WAN DNS currents points to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

But the thing is that the router advertises it's own server, and there is no way to disable that unless you turn off DHCP. I do not want to use pi hole as my DHCP server.

Aha Asus.
Read below posting.
Best bet, disable the DHCP service on the router and enable the one on Pi-hole.

EDIT: our postings crossed but I believe this is the only option.

Alright. So if I use pi hole as my DHCP server, how does it deal with guest networks?

If the router doesnt block DHCP and/or DNS for those network segments, it should work.

EDIT: worst case, you can configure a bridge interface on Pi-hole that has a leg/connection to both networks.

EDIT2: below posting describes a bridge setup.
Though I made a mistake and the WiFi SSID and password should be configured in the wpa_supplicant config file.

What happens to my existing DHCP reservations set in the router, and can I still set reservations in the router's web UI?

DHCP reservations on the router will be lost.
The only place to set reservations is on the Pi-hole web GUI.

Android phones have weird hostnames. Is it possible to change hostnames of devices so it appears properly in the stats dashboard?

Not out of the box.
But maybe in some other way.
You have for example the "/etc/hosts" file on Pi-hole where you can configure names to IP.
Pi-hole reads this hosts file on startup.

But all devices connected through DHCP will still show up in my router's web UI, right?

No.
Devices will only advertise their hostname to Pi-hole during the DHCP process.
But why would you want those names to show on the router web GUI ?

Because I want to see how many devices are connected, how much bandwidth each is pulling, limit internet speeds on a device, from both the web UI and the ASUS Router app.

EDIT: Never mind, devices are showing up in the router's UI.

I cant think of anything to achieve that but maybe someone else does.

EDIT: our postings crossed again.
Keep in mind if you changed DHCP settings/server, the clients need to renew their DHCP leases to recieve new configured settings etc.
Disconnect & reconnect network or reboot them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.