Temp: 100C forever

I setup a pi-hole on my ESXi. I created a debian VM (1xCPU, 512MB RAM and 5GB drive) and it works great.

It is just a little thing I noticed: the Temp is always showing 100C. I know I am not running it on a physical server or Raspberry Pi. If pi-hole can't detect the CPU/MB temperature, I'd rather it shows something like “N/A"

sudo cp /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/header.php /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/header.org.php

sudo sed -i 's\echo round(.*;\echo "N/A";\' /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/header.php

1 Like

Thanks. It works!
Thanks. It works!

It does that already. However, your VM tells Pi-hole that there actually exists a physical temperature sensor and that it says 100 °C.

Can you post the output of the following?

cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input

I got the same setup:

cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
cat: /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input

This is really odd, so it says it has a physical temperature sensor which shows 100.0 °C. That is not an impossible number, and the user should really be warned about it, so we cannot ignore it and show N/A.

I agree, but it looks like a VMware "bug" or a fake sensor:

cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp2_input
cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_crit
cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_crit_alarm

100C is the only thing VMWare ESXi returns, it does it with everything, would be nicer if it showed the CPU temp from the systems sensor.

You could script it to have Pi-Hole show outside temperature for your town :wink:

1 Like

Or ditch ESX and go for Xen :

$ tree /sys/class/hwmon*
/sys/class/hwmon
0 directories, 0 files

$ tree /sys/class/thermal*
/sys/class/thermal* [error opening dir]
0 directories, 0 files