Suggestion about navigating the GUI's

The issue I am facing:

(Feedback more than issue)

Details about my system:

PasPi 2B Buster.

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:

I am going to the dark side and using DHCP.
I set the range as big as possible then as devices connect I assign certain ones STATIC IP addresses.

THIS IS PAINFUL with the GUI as is.

(Or am I wrong?)

This is where I start:

I find the device I want to statically assign an IP.
(example)

I then scroll down to here and edit the field as needed. Sorry, no example given.

Then I click the + to the right to ADD it.
Next, I am thrown to the TOP of the screen here...

Then I have to go back to the bottom of the screen to press the SAVE button.
(Not including picture. I'm sure you've seen it.)

Why throw the user from bottom to top and then need them to go back to the bottom of the screen?

Or am I missing an elephant somewhere?

You don't need to click the Save button; clicking + has already saved the static lease. The Save button is for any changes in the top section (range, lease time etc)

The settings page doesn't use an ajax call.
This form is sent using a normal POST.
The page goes to the top because the whole page is reloaded.

Edit:
I think it's possible to use a different alert type, with a simple modification.
The page will still reload, but will be a "floating" alert, not requiring to scroll the page to read it.

Ok, thanks.

It is just weird to/for me how it works.

I was getting nowhere fast for a long time because I fear/feel I wasn't pressing the save button at the bottom.

Not 100% sure.
If clicking the + does the same thing: what is the function of the save button?

Maybe the save button should only be activated if/when it is needed.

The Save button is used to save the main "DHCP Settings" and "Advanced DHCP settings".

You don't need the Save button if you are only adding/deleting static leases.

Ok, good to know.

Could it be moved higher up on the screen so it is more associated with those functions rather than being at the bottom of the screen?

Ok: I am not helping myself with a small monitor. But from a layout perspective.....

Like maybe here....

1 Like

My initial idea is to use a floating alert, on the top right. No need to scroll, like this example:

DHCP_alert

This is just a test showing the desired result, but I'm not sure if this is possible without rewriting all other functions that return alerts/messages on this page.

Please be aware:
there's no planned release date (in fact, there's no guarantee this will ever be released).

This would be better for sure, same as how the API tab has strategically located Save buttons. It caught me out a few weeks back in a slightly different way. I'd added an entry, made some tweaks and hit save and left the page, only for it not to be working, and found that my entry wasn't even present. I ended up discovering that Save button didn't save my entry and that the + icons do that separately.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.