Sudo nano /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf

Would you consider taking a look at what's happening with /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf when pihole is updated (like today from 4.3.2 to 4.4) or changed otherwise.
I'm referring to this post: And then, all of a sudden, yesterday at 11:38, PiHole stopped servicing
and to the answer I've stumbled upon where someone indicates something about interface=eth0 and interface=tun0 or interface=wg0
In my case interface=eth0 had disappeared out of the config file.
I could check it from a backup I made before.
Same applies to /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf

I have found this because lately I check the correct working of pihole through DNSbench which shows me if pihole is up and running correctly.

Are you using PiVPN?

And note, neither of those files mentioned should be edited or modified by hand. The 01-pihole.conf is rather explicit about that fact.

Thank for your swift response Dan.
Fact of the matter is that these files were changed and that's why I needed to edit those to get pihole working properly again.
Pihole itself claims to be working 100% from what the admin console tells me, but DNSbench tells me otherwise.
And yes I'm using pivpn with wireguard.
Here are both my configs.
setupVars.conf

BLOCKING_ENABLED=true
WEBPASSWORD=
DNSMASQ_LISTENING=single
DNS_FQDN_REQUIRED=true
DNS_BOGUS_PRIV=true
DNSSEC=false
CONDITIONAL_FORWARDING=false
PIHOLE_INTERFACE=wg0
PIHOLE_INTERFACE=eth0
IPV4_ADDRESS=192.168.2.1/24
IPV6_ADDRESS=2a02:a443:8cfd:1:f3a4:a8ab:5ccf:45ae
PIHOLE_DNS_1=127.0.0.1#5353
PIHOLE_DNS_2=::1#5353
QUERY_LOGGING=true
INSTALL_WEB_SERVER=true
INSTALL_WEB_INTERFACE=true
LIGHTTPD_ENABLED=true

and 01-pihole.conf

addn-hosts=/etc/pihole/gravity.list
addn-hosts=/etc/pihole/black.list
addn-hosts=/etc/pihole/local.list

localise-queries

no-resolv

cache-size=10000

log-queries
log-facility=/var/log/pihole.log

local-ttl=2

log-async
server=127.0.0.1#5353
server=::1#5353
domain-needed
bogus-priv
interface=wg0
interface=eth0
server=/use-application-dns.net/

That needs to be one or the other.

Also do you have any other files in /etc/dnsmasq.d like an 02-pivpn.conf file with entries that override Pi-hole?

Edit:
01-pihole.conf

interface=wg0
interface=eth0

This isn't something Pi-hole set, if the file was edited manually then I suggest not doing that. The file header instructs that it will be overwritten.

OK, I'll test.
Thank you for the tip.
The 02-pivpn.conf was used with openVPN according to Marc Stan's instructions: /blog/2017/06/pivpn-and-pi-hole/
The Wireguard setup needs no tweaking, the contensts of /etc/dnsmasq.d/02-pivpn.conf are:

addn-hosts=/etc/pivpn/hosts.wireguard
interface=wg0

If I remember correctly the 01-pihole.conf had interface=wg0 inside after the update from 4.3.2 to 4.4 and not interface=eth0, I added the latter.
Now I deleted the interface=wg0 from the 01-pihole.conf and it's running and working as expected.

Delete the extra lines, delete the 02 file and check the All Interfaces section on the web page.

We have a guide on VPN use that we support, the guide linked is a few years old and probably not accurate.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/vpn/overview/

Edit: /blog/2017/06/pivpn-and-pi-hole/ is very wrong.

Correct, I deleted the 02 file, still working.
Curious if and how it affects pivpn.

What'do you mean with:

Can't find what you suggest on the admin webinterface.

In the networking configuration you would Allow All Interfaces.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.