Staying ahead of the “anti-blockers” redeux … boingboing.net and ad blocker blocker

Hi,

First many thanks to the great developers of pi-hole!!!!

It seems the madd escalation is a(d)head of us?

Easier just to stay away from the website... but I thought I would mention it here because it might starting po(o)pping up elsewhere in the future...

url: https://boingboing.net/

seems to be using some wordpress based ad blocker blocker and seems to use js to inject its own dns? (WAG)

Any thoughtszZ? Help?

Thx

Frank

P.S. this maybe related? Recommended strategy for clients with hard-coded DNS? - #2 by DanSchaper

I'm not seeing anything other than the usual garbage articles on boingboing. Are there supposed to be ads on that site?

LOL.... the odd article is unique :slight_smile: but Doctorow is a sci-fi author that I happen to like/read.....

Yes auto-polluted even worse then their articles :slight_smile:

But i'm on firefox on fedora 33 using pi-hole on a dietpi vm on get this hyper-v :slight_smile:, in Canada...

Hmmm, weird ....

I just upgraded Pihole... Did I miss an option?

Thx x10 (for code and reply)

Frank

I'm really sorry but I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Hi,

I'm getting a pageful of ads....

Attached is an image of the ads....

When I look at the source of the web page I can see they are using an add on (ad blocker blocker) package for wordpress which I guess their website is based on...

When I google that I found some software designed to get around ad blockers.... (German software)

I am in north america (Canada)

I also tried Chromium-browser and firefox both show ads......

Fot me pihole is not blocking anything... on boing ...

My/Your debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/nhw6b8ojes

My DNS is correct and I just tried disabling IPV6 on my system and that didn't help either.....

Help...

Thx

Frank

Running just the default blocklists and one more, I see none of these ads.

Use these tools to help you determine what domains the ads are being served on and if you are blocking them.

Separate note from review of your debug log:

You have a huge number of blacklist and whitelist entries (28,259 on the blacklist, 590 on whitelist). Was this intentional or did you mistakenly add the contents of other files to your blacklist?

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Domainlist (0/1 = exact white-/blacklist, 2/3 = regex white-/blacklist)
   id    type  enabled  group_ids     domain                                                                                                date_added           date_modified        comment                                           
   ----  ----  -------  ------------  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  -------------------  -------------------  --------------------------------------------------
   1      1          1  0             a0159626.xsph.ru                                                                                      2020-11-19 19:21:46  2020-11-19 19:21:46  Migrated from /etc/pihole/blacklist.txt           
   2      1          1  0             a04296f070c0146f314d-0dcad72565cb350972beb3666a86f246.r50.cf5.rackcdn.com                             2020-11-19 19:21:46  2020-11-19 19:21:46  Migrated from /etc/pihole/blacklist.txt

Hi,

Many thanks for the pointers.....

User error :frowning: once you pointed out the larger back.list file .... I re-installed pi-hole v4.0 with basic block lists....

And it works perfectly :slight_smile:

Sorry about the false alarm(s)....

Help was really appreciated!!!!

Thank you!

Frank

Pi-hole 4 is very old and shouldn't be used.

Typo V5 ... Pi-hole v5.2 Web Interface v5.2 FTL v5.3.1

Thank you!!!!!!

Frank

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.