Starlink with Pi router pihole not working

You are likely right.

I have a Pi 3 sitting around. I'll make it a pihole server for now, and then see if there is a way fold the two together later.

Yes.

You are double natted.
Starlink cannot see anything behind your R-P router. It only sees devices connected directly to it.
Double natted is a whole issue that may or may not cause issues; but it has nothing to do with what you trying to do.
Pi3 has WIFI and most tutorials use Ethernet.
I don't: I run Pi-hole on a P2zw and works fine with WIFI. My first hole was on a Pzw and worked just fine too...

I'm not sure of the questions at this point, but that's OK. I'll keep asking questions and maybe I'll learn something new.
I don't see a loop. The Starlink/WiFi part here doesn't seem relevant to me.

Let's assume the Pi has an address on a network, like 192.168.2.1.

The Pi could certainly use pihole's DNS itself, as noted in the Post Install section, "If your OS uses dhcpcd for network configuration, you can add to your /etc/dhcpcd.conf
static domain_name_servers=127.0.0.1"

Also, assume the DHCP in the network provides the Pi's address as the DNS server and DHCP server. A computer connects and is assigned 192.168.2.53. To use DNS, packets sent with source of 192.168.2.53 would send a DNS packet on port 53 to the destination in the 192.168.2.1 in the network, and 192.168.2.1 would reply to 192.168.2.53. So, no loop.

Packets with destinations other than 192.168.2.1 could be forwarded even if an intermediate hop is 192.168.2.1, right? Or, I think.

I told them double natted had nothing to do with what they were trying to do.

The Pi, that is now configured as their router using Raspian Bullseye, would send the packet to its own IP address I do not think it matters it is sent on port53 because it is sent back out to the network. It is not like the router can say, "some software on my machine is sharing my ip address so I'll forward this to the software using my IP address in the DNS settings".

Imagine you configured the router to send to pi-holes IP address, normally that would be a different IP address to send to. But it is not. it is the same address running on the same hardware with the same MAC as the router.
If what are suggesting worked, he would not need the router, pi-hole would be the router.

I said I could be wrong. But I did look around and people that love Raspberry Pis, have used OpenWRT (with smart switches, since the pi only one LAN port or, minimally, a usb to Ethernet dongle). on a Pi and set up separate Pi-holes have not published anything about using both on the same machine.

well lookie there.

Actually, There is another thread that the guy got it running. I put the link in the Starlink thread.

Using a Raspberry as a Linux Router with Pi-Hole

[

Using a Raspberry as a Linux Router with Pi-Hole

Hi, This morning I re-installed a pi-hole and I'm trying to set up my raspberry as a Linux router. Here's my h...

](Using a Raspberry as a Linux Router with Pi-Hole)

| Blockhead
March 24 |

• | - |

I'm not sure of the questions at this point, but that's OK. I'll keep asking questions and maybe I'll learn something new.
I don't see a loop. The Starlink/WiFi part here doesn't seem relevant to me.

Let's assume the Pi has an address on a network, like 192.168.2.1.

The Pi could certainly use pihole's DNS itself, as noted in the Post Install section, "If your OS uses dhcpcd for network configuration, you can add to your /etc/dhcpcd.conf
static domain_name_servers=127.0.0.1"

Also, assume the DHCP in the network provides the Pi's address as the DNS server and DHCP server. A computer connects and is assigned 192.168.2.53. To use DNS, packets sent with source of 192.168.2.53 would send a DNS packet on port 53 to the destination in the 192.168.2.1 in the network, and 192.168.2.1 would reply to 192.168.2.53. So, no loop.

Packets with destinations other than 192.168.2.1 could be forwarded even if an intermediate hop is 192.168.2.1, right? Or, I think.

Addendum

The Pi router worked well enough to do some tests. Even with overclocking, the Pi was a major bottle neck. Using speedtedt.net the best speed I saw was 65Mb/s.

Starlink direct gets up to 150Mb/s.

So I am going to try some other things. Seeedstudio has some interesting hardware with openWRT preinstalled.

I would like to thank everyone who helped out. And I hope that this thread will be of some use to the community in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.