Squeezeboxes / no DNS queries at all to be sendout for a specific URL

use case:

Squeezeboxes, Logitech servers have been deactivated. Devices still ping for baby.squeezenetwork.com, thousands of calls per day. I have setup locally Logitech Media Server, so I want to stop crawling to baby.squeezenetwork.com.

What I did so far:

• set /etc/hosts baby.squeezenetwork.com to 0.0.0.0
  • same in pi hole for list of local DNS domains

What pi hole does:
Mar 24 15:18:12 dnsmasq[31934]: query[A] baby.squeezenetwork.com from 192.168.178.222
Mar 24 15:18:12 dnsmasq[31934]: /etc/hosts baby.squeezenetwork.com is 0.0.0.0

What I expect:
for the address baby.squeezenetwork.com pi hole DOES NOTHING, DNS call are not performed and using resources on pi hole.

How could that be achieved?

Any help welcome.

The Pihole is working exactly as it should. The problem lies entirely with the squeezeboxes.

Fortunately there is something we can do on the Pihole that should work around the squeezebox behavior.

The text below is an extract from my notes on installing Pihole 5.x. You may need to adjust if you are using the 6.x beta. I don't remember where I originally found this information.

Replace each "api2.branch.io" below with "baby.squeezenetwork.com".

You will need to ssh into the Pihole.

Use dnsmasq to block sites flooded by badly behaved apps

Create a dnsmasq config file for poorly behaved applications that try to access
blocked sites every couple of seconds. This will extend the Time To Live (TTL)
for those sites so that the app doesn't continuously retry the blocked queries.

This was originally needed with Android phones to improve their battery life.
Keep it enabled for guests.

In a shell running on the Pihole:

sudo -i

In the root new shell running on the Pihole.

cat << 'EOF' > /etc/dnsmasq.d/10-long-TTL.conf
# set TTL to 1 hour for badly behaving phone apps
host-record=api2.branch.io,0.0.0.0,::,3600
EOF
pihole restartdns
exit

Go to the web interface on the Pihole page to whitelist the sites added in
the file above.

http://pihole/admin/groups-domains.php

For each item in the list, follow the sequence of steps below.

Plug the site name into the Domain: box.

api2.branch.io

Cut and paste the following into the Comment: box.

site blacklisted in /etc/dnsmasq.d/10-long-TTL.conf

Do not check the Add domain as wildcard checkbox.

Click on the Add to Whitelist button.

@altstadt Thanks for the provided informations, I will try out, one question, anything special you mean with " Plug the site name into the Domain: box." <= "box."?

Or just that marked here?

@altstadt

seems not working:

You have outlined the correct two textboxes.

In the textbox labeled "Domain", put in the text "baby.squeezenetwork.com".

In the textbox labeled "Comment", put in text that reminds you why you whitelisted this domain. In my example, I chose to say that the whitelisted domain was being blacklisted in the dnsmasq config file.

It looks like everything was entered correctly.

Either the squeezebox's IP stack is ignoring the TTL, or else the DNS service was not restarted on the Pihole.

I often have problems with network services after fiddling. Rebooting seems to clean up any issues. Have you tried rebooting your Pihole?

even with a completed pihole server reboot:

I forgot your original conditions.

Have you removed "baby.squeezenetwork.com" from /etc/hosts in all devices?

I do not know the precedence order when searching for an address. I suspect that /etc/hosts is the first place checked, so the dnsmasq entry was never reached.

yes, tried with commenting the entry in /etc/hosts, still yet not active in hosts ...
"# 0.0.0.0 baby.squeezenetwork.com"

If I understood correctly, Squeezebox is a device they stop selling more than 10 years ago and now they also shutdown the servers.

The best solution would be if the device stops querying these servers.
This is an issue in the device software/firmware and maybe you can find an update somewhere.

You will probably find better answers in Squeezeboxes forums and repositories.

Note:
I'm not sure if this will help, because I never heard about Squeezeboxes before.
I'm trying to find some related links, but this is more like a guess.

Are you using the latest server version?

Maybe your issue is related to these posts:

1 Like

Then I think it likely that the IP stack the squeezebox developer bought does not implement the full DNS protocol. Minimal, partial compliance was very common in stacks written for devices with constrained memory, such as the squeezebox.

I agree that this is annoying, mainly because the dashboard stats will have a slot that overwhelms all other data points. However, it is not using up enough local bandwidth to worry about. It will not use up any of your upstream bandwidth as long as you are blacklisting in one of /etc/hosts, dnsmasq, or the web accessible Pihole configuration.

In the example I provided, something on an Android phone was doing a DNS lookup every 2 seconds. This was measurably draining the battery over a day. It is likely that your remote will have a shorter battery life when off the charger, but the rest of the squeezebox devices are probably fine.

You will probably find a more useful answer in the resources that @rdwebdesign has posted.

@rdwebdesign @altstadt Yes, I am using the latest version of LMS (just installed the latest nightly),
I also have setup baby.squeezenetwork.com 0.0.0.0 in /etc/hosts/, I have BLOCKED in domain-mgmt and I have setup in Local DNS:

NOTHING prevents the boxes from spamming ....

In addtion there is fw patch underway, as of now my preferred way would be to do it via pihhole if possible, alternative fw is always a risk :slight_smile:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/forum/user-forums/squeezebox-radio/1687640-a-lot-off-networktraffic-to-baby-squeezenetwork-com seems that helped

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.