I bought a new RPi 3+ starter kit today with an SD that came preinstalled with Raspbian. Started it up and it booted straight up, all good. Ran sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade to get all packages up to date, then ran the Pihole installation seemingly without a problem. Through the update and install process I was getting “locale errors” like this:
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale (“C”).
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
The locale errors seemed to be warnings only so I didn’t think they would have been a problem. I then continued - I gave the Pi a static IP (.254) and set it as the DNS server in the router
Expected it to just start working as it’s supposed to
- Can’t access admin panel (connection refused)
- Running pihole returns “bash: pihole: command not found”
- Pi now can’t access the internet, DNS won’t resolve
- Devices using the Pi as a DNS can’t resolve sites
- Connecting to ExpressVPN on PC results in websites working as it forces use of its own DNS (an issue I can fix, but won’t until the Pi works)
- Unable to re-run installation (or ANY installations) as domains can’t be resolved
- Pihole does not show up in the list of installed packages
- Attempted to run install command with pi-hole.net IP address instead of hostname, security certificate does not match. Attempted with http:// instead and got a DNS resolution error.
Unable to run pihole -d