Smart Tv as a client

Hi to all,
New guy here.
I installed Pi-hole in Docker on a raspberry pi 3. Only today I realize that I have missed an update which I already did and it was awesome. (First time working with docker...)
So, on my computer, a Windows 10, it works perfectly. But I just installed to try to reduce the amount of ads on a video site. And on my LG Smart TV I didn't see any change.
I disable IPV6 because I thought that it could be resolving names outside of PI-Hole.
I just want to know if anybody are experiencing a good reduction on the number of ads in the said video site.

Thanks a lot for the system guys,

Clients employing DNS-over-TLS (DoT) or DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH), or using fixed DNS server IPs would by-pass local DNS server definitions.

To address this, you should disable DoH and/or DoT on a client - most often, the former is a browser configuration option, while the latter may be an OS level setting.

For DoT, you could also configure your router's firewall to block outbound connections to port 853/TCP.

And to block access to fixed IP DNS servers, you should configure your router's firewall to redirect and/or block outbound connections to port 53/UDP and TCP, except for your Pi-hole machine.

I didn't know about those "improvments" on DNS... Went to investigate and found a big discussion forum and a nice article about how to correct these point in smart TVs.
Here are the links:
First the discussion: 72% of smart TVs and 46% of game consoles hardcode DNS settings | Hacker News
Then the article that explain what to do: Your Smart TV is probably ignoring your PiHole - LabZilla

I'm trying to apply the recommendation, but I do not have Pfsense so I'm struggling a little.
Thanks Bucking_Horn for the tip and pointing me to right direction.

Not to worry Tsimoes ,

I had a similar issue a while back, lot of apps and smart devices show a need to "call home" all day long especially 8.8.8.8 and 8.8..4.4

If you have access to your router, you can try to forward DNS requests ., it doesn't have to be PF Sense, could be a Netgear or TP link

Please post screenshot of your DNS settings of your router, as well as Static routes, and maybe your model number. That way I could look up the user manual.

Thanks for your answer Whole,
My router is managed by the ISP. I have limited access although not sure how limited really is.
It´s a ZTE F6600P. I didn't find much about it, but I'll be very glad if you do. I hoped to change for a better one, but once I talked with the ISP who said that I couldn't change. BS for me. I believe that the WAN connection they have to do, and at max the MAC address of my new router they would need to know to accept in their network. But I'm just rambling about.

The whole DNS page of my router is in the image. I didn't see anyway to forward DNS requests but I hope I'm wrong.

One more time, thanks a lot for helping me.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.