Slow internet with Pi-hole

I am running a brank new 32x8 stream modem on Cox cable. This goes to a Ubiquiti USG then to ubi Poe switch which runs the uap-ac-pro in a small environment. When usg set to dns from pi-hole my wifi when in full use of everyone is only 90mb. Switch back unplug pi-hole 300 minimum while everyone is streaming and gaming. Pi-hole slows my ubiquiti network down something fierce but has no effect on my CenturyLink at other location. The difference in equipment is crazy. CenturyLink location is 70 down at best and using pi-zero for dns and it works perfectly!
Cable/ubiquiti network is 965 down and 35 up before pi4 on gigabit switch. Then... 90!
I'll post results when I find the issue.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, but Pi-hole handles DNS traffic only. This needs very low bandwidth and does not effect your wifi throughput.

If you nevertheless experience slowdown when your Pi device is connect to your network, I would recommend to check if there is a hardware defect which causes network issues.

How are you measuring the speed? If you are using SpeedTest or an online site, are you seeing the same remote server when you see the speed slowdowns?

Using a DNS server that may hide your current location could end up giving you a remote server that is far away from you and give you false numbers.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.