Show IP Address Only

I have an Asus RT-N66U running in repeater mode. My clients connecting through the repeater all shows up with the same hostname in pi-hole. Seems like all these devices are bunched up under the same mac address of the Asus repeater. Is there a way to only show IP address instead of hostnames?

pihole

This is fairly typical with some repeaters.

If I hover over each duplicate hostname, it shows the correct IP address of the clients which are unique. So my question still remains, can you make pi-hole just show IP addresses of the clients rather than resolving and showing the hostnames?

With IPv6, it would be normal that the same hostname would be associated with a an IPv4 and multiple IPv6 addresses, which also could result in multiple hostnames for the device NIC showing up in Pi-hole's dashboard.

Are you positive that you are seeing IPs of different devices?

If so:
Pi-hole's primary means of associating a name to an IP address would be a reverse DNS lookup.
In addition, Pi-hole can try to collate IP addresses by MAC addresses as observed from its host system's neighbour tables.

This can be controlled via the following options in pihole-FTL.conf:
NAMES_FROM_NETDB
PARSE_ARP_CACHE.

After setting or editing a value for any of those options, make sure to apply them by running

pihole restartdns
1 Like

I set the names from netdb to false and looks like it's doing what I wanted. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.