Setup unbound, domain based routing stopped working

So I have had 2 pihole instances running on separate Pi4's for several years now with little to no issue, the software is amazing.
I have just now gotten around to setting up unbound on both machines and while it is working as expected, DNS resolves correctly and everything appears to be fine, I have noticed an issue with my router based domain name routing rules.
I have rules setup on my UDM-Pro that routes requests to specific domains from any network machine through a VPN client (wireguard, also setup on the router), this was working correctly before unbound but has now stopped working. If I connect to the VLAN I have set up for VPN traffic, then it works as expected.
I suspect this behaviour cannot be fixed but wanted confirmation to be sure I am understanding the data flow now that unbound exists. Have the domain rules stopped working because the domain request is now no longer passing through the router but is resolved within the LAN.?
I wasn't paying attention specifically but I think the domain routing worked the first time I visited the domain after setting up unbound but subsequently not, i.e. DNS request passed through router the first time as unbound had not cached the entry but subsequently has, and therefore the router is basically kept out of the loop.?

Does this sound like a likely explanation, or have I misunderstood something or misconfigured something.?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Sorry but never mind.
Upon further investigation, it seems that it's the Domain based routing on the UDM-Pro that's bugged.
If I create a rule to force all traffic from a given client through the VPN then it works regardless of whether the client is configured to use pihole/unbound or hardcoded to another DNS resolver.

When the new traffic rules system was initially rolled on with Unifi OS the domain rules weren't working as intended, I was under the impression they had been fixed, but apparently not.
Sorry to have wasted anyone's time.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.