Setting Pi-hole host as DNS server on router = no internet

So I'm trying to figure this out. Running a bit of an outdated router but I'm a big fan of it, the DGL-4500. Never had any issues with it. I've had an old Inspiron 1520 sitting around and I found out about Pi-hole, wanted to give it a shot. I got everything setup on an Ubuntu setup and I thought I'd be good to go. Now, when I set the DNS server to the ip of the Pi-hole host I only get internet on the host itself. Every other device on the network cannot connect to outside the internet. However, when I remove that and set the router to either default or Google DNS, and then individually assign the DNS servers on devices to the Pi-hole host, it works fine. I would like this to work network wide as I'm less concerned about the traffic from my computers and more so from other users.

Any thoughts on a work around? I read somewhere online some routers don't recognize DNS servers as an individual device and instead prefer the Gateway IP as the DNS server but that doesn't work either.

Any help is much appreciated!

It sounds like your router has DNS Rebinding protection activated, which stops local DNS servers from being used. Check if you can turn that option off.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.