Server can't find pi.hole: NXDOMAIN

I have installed Pi-hole on my Raspberry Pi for some time now. On my dashboard, I see the number of blocked queries increasing (blocking percentage 30%). If that Raspberry Pi goes down, I have no internet (wifi) on all my devices anymore. Also, certain (sponsored) sites are blocked. Based on this, I think Pi-hole is working well.

Now I'm trying to test if it works with the command "nslookup pi.hole" and then I get:

Server: 1.1.1.1
Address: 1.1.1.1#53

** server can't find pi.hole: NXDOMAIN

That doesn't seem right to me. So now I doubt whether Pi-Hole is working properly.

Is my conclusion correct, and if so, does anyone have any tips for me?

Info Pi-Hole:
Pi-hole v5.7
FTL v5.12
Web Interface v5.9

That nslookup result is telling you that 1.1.1.1 was used as a DNS server, not Pi-hole.

How did you configure your router to take advantage of Pi-hole?

Router settings:

• DHCPv4-server disabled
  • Static Pv4-DNS-servers:
  • Primary DNS server: 8.8.8.8
  • Alternative DNS server: 8.8.8.8

Please upload a debug log and post just the token URL that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

(Moderator edit: explicit debug log removed)

(Moderator edit: explicit debug log removed)

Just post the token, please.
For your own privacy and security, do not post the full, unsanitised debug log output here.

The first of the following lines is fully sufficient:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/sushtXfu/

Why? Your Pi-hole should be on the same side of the router as the rest of your network clients.

Edit - it appears that your Pi-hole is on the LAN side of your router, not the WAN side.

Apologies, I was mistaken. I have edited the post.

Thank you for your advice.

Did you run this command from the Pi terminal? If so, this is the expected result, since the Pi is configured to use Cloudflare servers for DNS:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 64 Aug 30 21:17 /etc/resolv.conf
   nameserver 1.1.1.1
   nameserver 1.0.0.1

If you run the following command from the Pi terminal, then Pi-hole should respond with the correct reply:

nslookup pi.hole 127.0.0.1

I will note that you are running a very old version of Pi-hole. You are running:

Pi-hole v5.7
Web Interface v5.9
FTL v5.12

The current versions are:

Pi-hole  v5.15.5
  AdminLTE  v5.18.4
  FTL v5.21
1 Like

“I will note that you are running a very old version of Pi-hole. You are running:“

I know that. I have an issue with that SD card. I suspect it's somewhat corrupted. It's very slow, and yesterday when I tried to update everything from Pi-Hole, the update got stuck and I received an error message (freezing action or something similar).

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.