Second cloudflared service for specific devices?

I've been using Pihole for several years now without issue and absolutely love it. Some time last year, I added a cloudflared proxy and am using it for DOH.

As my children will be going to school 100% online and spending a lot more time with less supervised internet access during the day, I'd like to help control what they can and cannot access. I can use my routers "parental filters" but these are a kind of all or nothing sort of an option. I'd RATHER use Cloudflare's family filter DNS (1.1.1.3), but only on my children's devices without giving up Pihole.

I set up a second cloudflared proxy on a different port, but am now trying to figure out how to get dnsmasq to use it. I worked from this post:

to create a 04-bypass.conf... except I cannot figure out how to specify a specific PORT to use for this DNS, if it is possible.

I'm sure I could stand up a second Pi listening on port 53 to proxy these requests, but I'd like if I could do it all on one.

Hardware: RPi3B+
Pihole: 5.1
Pihole uses localhost:54 for cloudflared to hit 1.1.1.1 over DOH.
**I'd like to add a second cloudflared proxy for specific devices to hit 1.1.1.3 over DOH, preferably on the same hardware.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Your best option may be to set up a new Pi-hole, configured specifically for the specific devices, and put those devices on that Pi-hole.

In addition to family-friendly DNS servers, you can put on aggressive blocking.

If your router is flexible enough that you can set it to redirect port 53 requests.

Something like:

I think this could work, not 100%, untested.

But change the source to your kids clients.

It is not possible. You tell the devices via a DHCP setting that they should use another server address. You cannot specify a port.

Nevertheless, you can still get what you want, just to through a different port. Either install a second Pi-hole as suggested by @jfb or have your second cloudflare proxy listen on port 53 but on a different IP address. You can easily add multiple IP addresses to each interface in Linux, there are plenty of tutorials online. This will allow you to do this easily on one device.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.