SD Card Copier hangs on Partition 5 - New install of Raspbian and Pi-Hole

This is a completely new install of both Raspbian (NOOB) and Pi-Hole. Both were downloaded yesterday and installed.

Expected Behaviour:

SD Card Copier would prepare ScanDisk USB drive and copy the Rasbian OS files to the USB Card to be used as a system recovery source.

Actual Behaviour:

USB Card is erased and prepared for copying, Partitions 1 through 4 copy as expected. Partition 5 hangs about 5% done. Its been running for three hours now. When I click Cancel the SD Card Copier returns to its normal startup state without hesitation. Pressing Close exits the SD Card Copier and returns to the Desktop without hesitation.

Debug Token:

[✓] Your debug token is: di612o6xr9

The Raspberry is a 3B that I have owned for about 5 months it was running Pi-Hole flawlessly before multiple power outages kept it from booting.

The Raspbian installation went flawlessly. Pi-Hole installed and its running.

I am using VNC Viewer on Windows 7 to access the Raspberry desktop and am running the SD Card Copier from there. Both the Raspberry and the PC are on the same network and are clearly communicating with each other. I can also connect to the Raspberry using Putty.

The ScanDisk USB drive was purchased about 5 months ago for this project and has not been used elsewhere. It is a large card and there should be lots of room on it. SD Card Copier prepared the card properly and began the coping as expected until Partition 5 where it is still hung.

This is clearly not critical. I just enjoy having a back up so that recovery, if needed, is a little less painful.

Thanks, CraigM :-):slightly_smiling_face:

I'm not sure this is related to Pi-hole ...

However, Noobs is not the best option when it comes to backup and restore.

Use this guide for your needs:

In the end, I'd recommend going with stretch ...

You can use this to "burn" the saved image:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.