Router is the only recognized domain

Hello,
I'm quite new to this so will have to be guided like a baby. Anyways, I have my pi-hole up and running very well in a raspberry pi zero and I am very happy about it. The thing is, that no matter what I do I can't get any info on what device are the adds being blocked. All show in the web interface as my router.

A few more info, my router is the only device in the network running pi-hole DNS and DHCP is also taken care by my router. Me being quite new to this I don't feel comfortable to let the pi do it.
I do have Conditional Forwarding set up in the pi-hole and edited /etc/hosts with all my devices domains that are all with a static IP in my router.

Maybe what I am trying is not compatible for what I want or is just something simple that I am missing due to my lack of experience.

Thanks in advance for anyone looking into this. :slight_smile:

Please upload a debug log and post just the token that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

Here is is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/2eue05qrl2

You have configured your router in a way to advertise its own IP as DNS server via DHCP.
See here how to change that

https://docs.pi-hole.net/routers/fritzbox/

Or (in German)

https://docs.pi-hole.net/routers/fritzbox-de/

Although in Germany, English is better for me. Thanks. :slight_smile:
I have been looking at that page all afternoon, but somehow missed that I also had do add Pi-hole's IP into "Local DNS Server" from the first screenshot.

My phone already shows in the clients, but the desktop I am writing from is not. And still a lot of logs from the router alone.

But seems to be going somewhere.

Note: Clients will notice changes in DHCP settings only after they acquired a new DHCP lease. The easiest way to force a renewal is to dis/reconnect the client from the network

I have done a full reconnect on all devices later but still some clients don't show up like this desktop and most of the queries are registered as coming from my router.

As you've changed your configuration, please upload a new debug log and post just the token that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

Here it is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/d6zxnyzul6
And thank you for the patience. :slight_smile:

You've enabled IPv6 in your network. It is possible that your desktop is using an IPv6 DNS server for resolution.

Please run nslookup pi.hole from your desktop.

This is awkward...
Screenshot 2021-03-16 212031

But before your reply I found in my desktop's Network IP Settings that it was set up to manual and had a different IP. I don't remember ever touching those settings. Anyway, I put the IP assignment to Automatic and my desktop now shows in the domains. Actually, all the devices I manually added in the hosts file are now listed there.

Although, my router is still the device with the most activity in the network.
Screenshot 2021-03-16 212439
Dark blue is the router while lighter blue is my desktop computer.

Is this expected? I would expect this to be distributed through all my devices with my router having very few representation here.

Oh! I might have done it wrong earlier.
Actually get addresses now.
Screenshot 2021-03-16 213107

The last picture shows your desktop is using your router for DNS (which will then forward the requests to Pi-hole). Is the hidden address IPv6?

Is the hidden address IPv6?

Yes

Have seen in your debug log that all your devices got a global IPv6 address. If you want to use IPv6, you should give them a ULA as well.

Maybe then should I turn IPv6 off in the devices or router?
Don't have it on for any specific reason. Guess it was on by default.

If you don't need it and you are not 100% sure how to works, it is recommended to disable it. You can enable it any time later if you feel more confident.

Disabled it in the router and lost internet connection at home. Had to reverse it as I couldn't find how to fix it. Guess I'll have to learn to live like this. :innocent:

But now, somehow, doing nslookup pi.hole I have a different outcome.
Screenshot 2021-03-17 195357

IPv4, then IPv6 and again IPv4. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.