Router IP shows queries from other devices

My setup:
Netgear R700 Router with DHCP disabled.
The Pi running Pi-Hole with DHCP enabled.
Primary DNS server on the router set to the Pi's address.

Before I configured the Pi to handle the DHCP I was only seeing all the traffic coming from the router, which is why I switched to using the Pi DHCP so I could see the full breakdown by device, however...

When I look at the Top Clients list on the admin page, I see all the devices I would expect too. I also see an entry from the routers IP and when I click on it almost all of the listed queries are listed with a Client IP that of my single wired (into the router) device; a Windows 10 machine. That machine does have its own entry under Top Clients listing the majority of its own queries but some is showing as from the router's IP. I also ran a namebench from one of my wireless laptops and a some of that traffic is showing up under the routers IP as well.

Am I missing something? I'm just confused why a small amount of traffic is listed under the routers IP but then shows the client IP as another device.

Can you show some screenshots so we can better understand the problem? It sounds like instead of just showing queries from the router, the page is also including those from the win 10 device?

Here is a section from selecting my routers IP in the Top Clients list - https://imgur.com/a/u6vPj?

For clarity, the .1 is the router & .10 is the windows machine.

Those NameBench queries were from a namebench that was run from another device all together. Almost all of the name bench queries (a couple of thousand) were correctly attributed to the machine that ran them IP, but around 30 have been listed as coming from the router itself.

What I'm expecting (or assuming) should happen is that the routers IP should hardly have anything attributed to it with the exception of its own lookups such as NTP / firmware update check. So why these entries get attributed to it, I've no idea.

Ok as a follow up, I've had that windows machine powered off for the last three hours and no other device on the network has had its traffic attributed under the list for the routers IP.

I turned on the windows PC and then checked the lists and its query logs are almost identical, both when you select the windows PC from the list and the router. I've checked the DNS network settings for the windows machine and its DNS server is pointing correctly to the PI and not the router, so I'm now even more confused.

A basic question to begin with: How long is this setup already in place? Have to taken care to restart all devices after switching the DHCP duties to the Pi-hole? DHCP is only used when powering a device on and stays inactive afterwards. So you either have to restart your devices or at least reconnect them after you change any DHCP setting (like plug out and put the cable back in or by switching WiFi off for a short amount of time and reenable it afterwards).

If you don't do that the devices are not aware of the change of policy in your network and will still continue to use the router.

All devices were rebooted & the machine causing the problem sat for the past 3 hours powered off, I turned it back on about 15 minutes ago.

Yeah, I just reread your initial message and apparently mixed things up with another thread I was looking at. I'm sorry for that...

Okay, so this is the actual issue you want to discuss here.

I agree.

Could it be that your Win PC shows the Pi-hole's address as DNS server for IPv4 but maybe still the router for IPv6 ? Just a thought.

Below are the network settings on the machine. I forced a change of IP address to see if it would 'refresh' everything, but it didn't. As you can see the DNS is set correct along with the DCHP. I even did an nsfetch -debug in a command prompt to see where it actually did go looking for a dns server and it came back as the Pi.

This isn't happening to my wife's windows 10 machine which is connected to the router wirelessly, only mine which is wired. I'm starting to think perhaps it's something weird to do with the way the router handles wired traffic that's out of my control, maybe?

Well I fixed it through the solid science of factory resetting the router and just setting it back up. The whole process took five minutes and now the Pi-Hole is working exactly as desired and expected.

I have to say I've love the whole thing & will put a donation in soon and hopefully the project grows even more.

Thanks for letting us know that you fixed it! I was very much scratching my head, trying to find the cause for your issue.