[resolved] pi-hole installer broken?

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

[ curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash should install pi-hole system]

Actual Behaviour:

[installer fails to install FTL, can no longer resolve hostnames]

Debug Token:

[no debug token - can't resolve names, so can't upload]

Hey guys - just like it says... fresh install of Raspbian stretch lite on a rpi 3. Installer runs fine (clones AdminLTE.git and pi-hole.git) just fine, then can't install FTL (the next time the install script tries to resolve something external I think).

[x] Downloading and installing FTL
Error: Unable to get latest release location from GitHub
[x] FTL Engine not installed

At that point the rpi is useless.. it can no longer resolve domain names, so can't run the installer again, can't clone from git, CERTAINLY can't point DNS queries to this thing...

Any suggestions?

Please try the following steps

1. sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
  2. edit 127.0.0.1 to 9.9.9.9 or your preferred third party DNS service
  3. save
  4. Run pihole -r and select repair.

Here is my /etc/resolv.conf file:

'# Generated by dhcpcd
'# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
'# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

(Obviously the single quotes before the comment hashes are not in the file.) Hard to know what to change... should the installer have written more than 3 commented lines to this file?

Add a fourth line:

nameserver 1.1,1.1

That was the answer!

Added nameserver 8.8.8.8 to the end of the /etc/resolv.conf file, saved, pihole -r and repair, and everything was up and running.

I noticed that during the repair the /etc/resolv.conf file was updated to point to 127.0.0.1, which makes sense & explains why @jfb suggested changing that to another nameserver.

Thanks for the help @jfb

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.