Requests to amazon domains from my router and not echo devices? Why?

Hi, I'm trying to find out why a lot of requests to Amazon domains looks like they're made from my router (R7800) and not from my 4 echo devices.

The weird thing is that in the Pi-Hole records there are my echo devices and all of the echos are using Pi-Hole, but looks like after some time, the queries appear like are made from my router (R7800).

I'm not using DHCP from the Pi-Hole but from the router, all other things are ok, I see the names of devices, I don't have Conditional forwarding enabled. I'm just curious to understand why the queries appear from my router and not from the echos, if the are using Pi-Hole!

Thanks!

Your router may distribute its own IPs as DNS server, usually because you configured it to do so (e.g. by setting it as secondary DNS server), or because it is offering its IPv6 address.
There are also some routers (like this ASUS RT-AC68) that distribute themselves in addition to any custom DNS server, no mattter what you configure.

You may try to verify this, e.g. by running the following commands from a Windows client in your network:

netsh interface ipv4 show dnsservers
netsh interface ipv6 show dnsservers

If any of you router's IPs shows up in the results, your clients may use your router as DNS server at their own discretion.

Thanks for the reply, I'm using DD-WRT on my router, I don't have ipv6 and all of my dns are the Pi-Hole IP.

I'm not running windows on in my network, can't test it, only with unix machines, but I configured all of the machine with Pi-Hole IP (192.168.1.4).

i.e. in the resolv.conf file on my Mac: nameserver 192.168.1.4

My router dnsmasq settings, maybe is something here the cause?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.