Remote Pi-hole questions, concerns, and assistance wanted

I know that you can access and not only control but use Pi-hole as if you are at home from anywhere. I have some questions and concerns about doing such. What security risks are shown by doing that? How can I eliminate the risks and make it as secure as possible? What is the safest way of doing this? How would I be able to do it? Will this slow down mobile data speeds (upload, download, ping, jitter, and such)? What is the performance impact or difference? Internet wise at home is 5 down 1 up. Mobile data here can peak and average is 35 both ways. Ping is in the 50s for both of them and packet loss and jitter is none at the most of times (depending on phone location and cell tower signal). My phone is really slow and old and the less ads and bloat it has to load the better. It struggles enough to load YouTube on the app itself.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you have your Pi-hole directly exposed to the internet, it will quickly be found and put to no good use as an Open Resolver. Don't do this.

Install a VPN client alongside Pi-hole, and use this VPN to securely acess your local Pi-hole instance. We offer several guides.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/vpn/wireguard/overview/

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/vpn/openvpn/overview/

You mobile download speed will be limited by your home internet upload speed, since anything downloaded on the remote client is being uploaded by your home network. You can avoid this by using the split tunnel option discussed in each of our guides. With split tunnel, only the DNS traffic goes back to your home Pi-hole, while the data traffic stays local to whatever network your client is using at the time.

1 Like

I saw this article recently. Would this be just as secure and what are the differences?
After latest update - DNS service not running FTL offline

If you already have a Pi-hole running at home, there is no need to install a remote instance on a VPS and maintain that as well.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.