Regression in the past month? Some sites/apps are showing ads again

My pihole has been updated and works fine for blocking ads on sites like cnn.com at the top bar, but I've noticed applications like SeekingAlpha and Blind are now showing ads whereas a month+ ago pihole was effectively blocking them.

Use these tools.

What blocklist/adlists are you using on your pihole? I counted 25 different domains on home page :hushed:

If you are seeing ad-related domains in your Query Log you can block them, or find a list which incorporates them.

The green lists at https://firebog.net are well balanced and give good blocking with very few false positives. The lists at Developer Dan's Hosts are also good, be sure to read the descriptions for each one.

Check also if you have inadvertently whitelisted some of the domains in question, perhaps as part of a wildcard whitelist that has accidently whitelisted too much. Or, if you have been experimenting with Pi-hole's Groups, it's possible to accidentally reduce or stop blocking for some clients.

Sites will often change ad platforms or introduce new ones. Sometimes those platforms are incorporated into the main domain, making them unblockable using a DNS based approach. For that you need an application level blocker, for example something like uBlock Origin in the browser. A combination of both approaches gives good results.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.