I’m new to the world of Raspberry Pi, and am having fun learning about all the possibilities. I am interested in building a pi-hole, and after doing a lot of research, I have some questions I would appreciate your help in answering. I am hoping to building a pi-hole for myself, and maybe two or three more for family members who live far from me. So, here are my questions:
- What is the recommended capacity for the Micro SD card? 16 or 32GB?
a. For my pi-hole, I may want to allow for logs & analytics, but the pi-holes for family members will not need that extra capacity (since they will not have logs, etc)
b. Should I still enable the web interface and logs on my family member pi-holes? They won’t be using the functions.
- If I set up a pi-hole on one of the Micro SD cards, with all mods, could I simply copy that card to other cards to save time (assuming all builds should have web interface & logs)
- What kind of card is best for preventing the Micro SD cards from wearing down? Is there something I can do to prevent this, especially for family members’ pi-holes?
a. I read someplace that a solid, dedicated power source (not a USB2 to USC-C cord) is very important for preventing wear-down
- Does the pi-hole software update? Is it automatic, or does it require manual updating on-site?
- Is it possible to access a pi-hole remotely?
a. Let’s say a family member is having issues with their pi-hole, and I need to see what’s going on without flying across the U.S.
- How do I set a proper Static IP Address?
a. In a TWiT video (https://youtu.be/rp8mi1oAvAg?t=166), Fr. Ballecer suggested that a pi-hole’s ip address be set up outside the scope of a router’s DHCP server.
b. In others videos, they just kept Static IP Address as their router
c. Can someone provide a guide or tutorial of how to find a proper Static IP Address?
- If I have the pi-hole going to a DNS service, such as 220.127.116.11, and then have my router’s primary DNS going through the pi-hole (and eventually 18.104.22.168), should I set my router’s secondary’s DNS to the same DNS (22.214.171.124) or another DNS (126.96.36.199)?
- Are there any patches, or additional steps I should take for Google Wifi?
a. I have a Netgear Nighthawk, but my family members have Google, and I saw someplace that there may be issues.
- Any other recommendations for added privacy settings?
Thanks for the help. Sorry if some of this stuff is super noob or too long. I’ve tried to research as much as possible, just have a few snags during my planning and I’d appreciate your help. Also, sorry if some of my writing is a little off – I have dyslexia & dysgraphia.
Wishing you all a great day.