Question regarding "advanced" options

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Please ensure that you are running the latest version of the beta code.
Run pihole -up to update to the latest, then verify that the problem still exists before reporting it.

Question about Beta 5.0:
This is not specifically related to v5, just a question on the best way to continue using pihole in the manner I have with v5. I did a chattr +i /etc/dnsmasq.d/02-pihole-dhcp.conf on the stable to maintain some of my settings. I see I can do the same with v5 and maintain my config. I wonder if there's a better way to handle it though. I use pihole as an ad-blocker, but i also use it as a fully functional dnsmasq server. I run multiple subnets (named vlans) with dnsmasq, use dhcp, and dns etc. Currently, in 02-pihole-dhcp.conf i have things like the following

dhcp-range=tag:vlan10,192.168.128.1,192.168.128.254,6h
dhcp-range=tag:vlan20,192.168.100.1,192.168.100.128,1h
dhcp-range=tag:vlan30,10.100.0.1,10.100.0.30,1h
dhcp-option=tag:vlan20,vendor,MSFT,2,1i
####
dhcp-match=set:bios,60,PXEClient:Arch:00000
dhcp-boot=tag:bios,netboot.xyz.kpxe,,192.168.128.9
dhcp-match=set:efi32,60,PXEClient:Arch:00002
dhcp-boot=tag:efi32,netboot.xyz.efi,,192.168.128.9
srv-host=_sip._tcp.ucm.mydomain.com,dznet-ucm.mydomain.com,5065
srv-host=_sip._tcp.mydomain.com,dznet-pbx.mydomain.com,5060

is there a better way to handle this without making the config files immutable? I see that i can create something like mycustom.conf in /etc/dnsmasq.d and tbh, i havent tested to see if it will override the 02-pihole-dhcp.conf as my wife runs the change management board in the home and almost always denies maintenance windows.

I have my lan.list heavily populated, but i'm using it more like a simple hosts file, i wasn't sure if i could put other dns records in there, but i suppose i could test that.

As I do not see any options conflicting with Pi-hole's own settings straight away, it may be enough to just have these options in a separate file (e.g. 90-vlan.conf).

Pi-hole will read any configuration file in /etc/dnsmasq.d/, but won't touch those extra files during updates or any other time..

awesome, thanks bucking!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.