Problems with installing PiHole on Stretch

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

PiHole should be installed and I'm able to access the admin portal.

Actual Behaviour:

I can't access 192.168.1.114/admin, it says ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.

Debug Token:

When I try to run pihole -d it says
Unbenannt2

What I've done:

I did a fresh installation of Stretch Lite on my new Pi 3 B+. I run update, upgrade, and changed the ssh password. Right after that, I run..

wget -O basic-install.sh https://install.pi-hole.net
sudo bash basic-install.sh

After it finished installing, I rebooted and tried to update. This isn't possible anymore:

1 Like

Your Pi-hole device can't seem to get out to to Internet to get updates. Is your gateway properly set? What's in /etc/resolv.conf?

It says:
Unbenannt2

I only set 2 DNS servers during installation, that's it. I didn't mess with the gateway. I'm only confused about the setup changing my network interface or anything like that. The update / upgrade stuff worked before, why wouldn't it work anymore after the PiHole installation?
Furthermore, the pihole command can't be found. That's weird since I just installed PiHole.

What does the install log look like?

It's pretty much empty:

Did PiHole even correctly install?

I am having the exact same issue, except mine is not a new install of stretch (I've been using it for a few months).

Just adding one more to the sample size!

It defintly did not install correctly or you would have the pihole command available. Can you download the script and then

bash -x basic-install.sh | tee somefile
cat somefile | nc tricorder.pi-hole.net 9999

@jacob.salmela I downloaded the script and executed your commands, but this didn't work either. The pihole command still isn't available and the install log is still empty.

So you can't even upload the file to us with this command:

cat somefile | nc tricorder.pi-hole.net 9999

@jacob.salmela So.. somehow I made it work. I tried so many different installation variations, formatted the sd card and reflashed it countless times, and now it somehow worked. Don't ask me why it works now.

So as you can see, the installation always stopped at a random point of the script. This time it stopped before I executed "sudo nano /etc/resolve.conf":

Here, it stopped in between again:
Unbenannt2

The fix is to just execute sudo bash basic-install.sh as often as possible until the pi went through the whole script.

I don't know why it stops here and there, but it took me hours of formatting and reflashing until I realized it's only a random stop. Now, it works and I can finally access the portal.

It might have been an issue with installing a dependency (maybe PHP required user input, package conflict, etc).

It's good, that you can already limit the problem. But can you reproduce it? I mean, I did a fresh installation / flash of Stretch lite onto the sd card and only made the necessary update as well as upgrade. I didn't touch any config settings of the pi. So why would it have problems with dependencies or the script would stop in between? Is Stretch still too new?
There shouldn't be any conflicts since I haven't installed or touched anything else and Stretch was completely new installed..

Try reinstalling with the latest (April) release of Raspbian Stretch. Maybe the APT mirrors that your install decided to use were bad, or gave different packages. Or maybe your network is set up differently.

Hey Mcat12,

so finally I got it working. I had to re-execute the installation script couple of times, until it reached the end.
Now it works. However, the setup that a user posted here doesn't work for me.
Every time, I follow this user's guide, I get an DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET error.

I took some screenshots of my config on my pfSense and my Pihole that you can see here: https://picload.org/view/dogggoii/1.jpg.html

When I set these settings, my Chrome browser gives me an ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED and afterwards a DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET error.

What I found out is that the "problem" already starts with changing the DNS server under General Config: If I have my initial values set and only change the DNS server from 1.1.1.1 to my 192.168.1.114, I get this DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET error. However, I can access websites via their single IP, this works. But something like vimeo.com doesn't work.

After lots of try & error, I found a solution. This config now seems to work and blocks adds (using Edge browser):

System > General Setup > DNS Server Settings > DNS servers: 1.1.1.1 (gateway: none; nothing else changed)
Services > DNS Forwarder > Disabled
Services > DNS Resolver > General Settings > Enabled
Services > DHCP Server > Enabled
Services > DHCP Server > Servers > DNS servers: 192.168.1.114 (Pihole IP)
This does the trick, somehow.

I don't know if this config makes sense because now I have two DNS resolvers working on the network. But the funny thing is: when I turn off the Pi, my Internet connection is gone.

How do you think about this?

1 Like

It might just be that the router uses the other DNS server for itself and hands out Pi-hole to the clients.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.