Problem with local hostname resolution

Similar to user/thread at What are the conditions for local hostname resolution?
I don't get hostnames (I get IP addresses) for the Dashboard, Query Log, Top Lists, Tools>Network.

Pihole is set as the DNS and the DHCP server for the local network. Based on the various lists including thousands of queries and Ad blocking, pihole is appearing to work.

For my home network, I have (at this moment) 65 active DHCP leases. I also have 90 static DHCP leases configured. The active leases are at the proper static addresses.

This pihole is a recent setup at local address 10.10.10.3 and was "restored" from a Teleporter archive that originally was at 10.10.10.2

Both Pi's are online but the original pi (pi4) is running on 32-bit raspbian OS and IS NOT the local network DHCP server. It also does not show as the DHCP or DNS server on various home network computers, printer, etc. The more recent one is currently on a PI400 running 64-bit raspbian OS.

The PI4 at 10.10.10.2 did properly show hostnames in the various pihole lists and logs.

Windows command window running nslookup shows pi.hole (at 10.10.10.3) as the server and it correctly responds with IP addresses when queried with a hostname and returns the hostname when queried with an IP address.

HOWEVER, nslookup when run on the pi-hole returns ";; connection timed out; no servers could be reached"

That error prevents me from uploading the debug log and as I just discovered accessing other web sites using Chrome on the pihole.

Sounds like your issue isn't local hostname resolution - rather, your Pi-hole host machine only is having issues with DNS.

Run on your Pi-hole host machine, what's the output of

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Here is the output of resolv.conf

# Generated by resolvconf
search hsd1.il.comcast.net
nameserver 26<redacted>ec

In pihole, my local network is named "lan", if that makes a difference

Comcast is my ISP and I have IP6 disabled in my router.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks,
keith

Does that public IPv6 GUA belong to your router?

What's the output of:

grep -v '^#\|^$' /etc/dhcpcd.conf
keith@raspberrypi400:~ $ grep -v '^#\|^$' /etc/dhcpcd.conf
hostname
clientid
persistent
option rapid_commit
option domain_name_servers, domain_name, domain_search, host_name
option classless_static_routes
option interface_mtu
require dhcp_server_identifier
slaac private
interface eth0
        static ip_address=10.10.10.3/24
        static routers=10.10.10.1
        static domain_name_servers= 
keith@raspberrypi400:~ $ 

Comparing the above with the same output on my older (non-active) piholoe that worked....here is the equivalent output:

pi@pi-hole:~ $ grep -v '^#\|^$' /etc/dhcpcd.conf
hostname
clientid
persistent
option rapid_commit
option domain_name_servers, domain_name, domain_search, host_name
option classless_static_routes
option interface_mtu
require dhcp_server_identifier
slaac private
interface eth0
static routers=10.10.10.1
static domain_name_servers=127.0.0.1
inform 10.10.10.2/24
pi@pi-hole:~ $

Also the output of the resolv.conf on the older pihole is:

pi@pi-hole:~ $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.0.1
search lan hsd1.il.comcast.net

You've not provided any DNS servers in your current config, so your OS is using IPv6 DNS resolvers as learned via router advertisements only.

You can provide a public DNS resolver in dhcpcd.conf to address your immediate issue.

However:

If that is indeed your router's own IPv6 address, it would allow your clients to by-pass Pi-hole.

Since you state you've disabled IPv6, that may just be a left-over from before you disabling IPv6, and thus should vanish once you've adopted and applied your dhcpcd.conf.

If it would still appear after that, you'd have to find a way to configure your router to advertise your Pi-hole host machine's IPv6 as DNS server or to stop advertising its own.

You'd have to consult your router's documentation sources on further details for its IPv6 configuration options.

If your router doesn't support configuring IPv6 DNS, you could consider disabling IPv6 altogether.

If your router doesn't support that either, your clients will always be able to bypass Pi-hole via IPv6.

I believe that the IPv6 GUA is from the router, perhaps before I totally disabled it. Here is the router screen:

I changed the dhcpcd.conf to mimic the working pihole changing just the pihole address and setting comcast dns server for the static domain_name_servers.

I still don't have hostnames displayed in various pihole displays but I can now access the internet again from pihole Chrome browser.

However, I am attempting to upload the debug log, but it has been stalled for some time at "*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Dashboard headers", so it still may not work. If it does finish, I'll include that info later.

Since my process for this pihole was:

• start with virgin unused SD card
  • load raspbian OS x64 on it and boot the pi.
  • used the "curl" command to install and setup pihole
  • restored pihole settings from a teleport file from another pihole.

could the restoration from another pihole be causing this problem? The other pihole was/is at a different ip address.

Thanks,
keith

I've abandoned further attempts at getting this particular installation to work.

Thanks for the previous suggestions and help attempts to get it working.

I've reimaged raspbian onto the SD card and started over. I am having some new issues with this one that I will start another help thread on.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.