possible to show all clients with router aggregating requests to pi-hole?

Only 2 clients are showing the router and the pi-hole box

I am wondering if it is possible with pi-hole v5 to show all clients that connect to it.
The setup is as follows:

client -> router(DHCP) -> pi-hole(DNS)

I am looking for a way to keep the above flow.

1 Like

If you want to keep the DNS flow like

client -> router (DNS) -> Pihole (DNS) than it is not possible, because for pihole it looks like all DNS queries coming from your router. You should still see all clients in "Network overview" (if on the same subnet) but with the notion that they are not using pihole (because DNS requests are not send directly to pihole).

Yyou could keep your router as DHCP Server but distribute Pihole's IP as DNS server for the clients.

Client -> router (DHCP)
client -> pihole (DNS)

2 Likes

Sorry to necro and old thread here, but as a new Pi-hole user, I thought I'd ask: Is the best practice here to make Pi-hole the DHCP Server, and not the Router, in order to preserve individual client queries in reporting? Wouldn't that add further overhead to Pi-hole / the Pi ?

I'm using my router as DHCP server and just using Pi-hole as my DNS Server, as recommended in the standard install instructions, but like the OP, I'm only seeing my router as the primary client behind all queries (192.168.1.1).

The Pi-hole DHCP server is an option to show individual clients when the router will not. There is no "best practice" - use what best meets your needs.

Yes, but by a trivial amount. DHCP transactions are done once per lease cycle, which generally is very infrequent.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Help with EDNS(0) MAC