Point adlist hostnames to a specific IP

Is there a way to define a custom IP address for blocked hostnames, like have pi.hole respond with a specific A name record for all blacklist hostnames instead of block them altogether?

https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/blockingmode/

So the only option is to use the pi.hole's IP address, no other IP address?

I guess I will have to modify the web server files and configuration to do what I want.

Thanks.

If it's a specific hostname that you want to resolve then you can use local DNS records via the web interface to create your own A records.

Right, but I was looking to point all of the hostnames in an adlist to an IP, not just individual ones.

I will look in to modifying my pi.hole web server, but that will mean future updates will be a pain :frowning:

Before you get too deep in to that, what is it that you are trying to accomplish? Intercepting a hostname in an adlist is not going to be very effective if that hostname uses TLS or is on the preload list.

OK now I am confused.

I mean, I understand what you are saying, but why does that only come in to question when I want to point the hostnames to something other than the pi.hole IP address?

What is your end goal?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.