I know this is not the PiVPN forum but I just wanted to give a headsup what I encountered while I switched to beta. I realized that whatever URL I try to reach while browsing through VPN results in a timeout. If I try to reach whatever device at home using it's IP address everything is reachable super fast. As soon as I switched back to master branch everything get's resolved again flawlessly.
As I'm fairly new to this, please let me know if or how I can help somehow
Do you have Pi-hole configured to listen on all interfaces?
*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Networking
[✓] IPv4 address(es) bound to the eth0 interface:
192.168.224.30/27 matches the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf
*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv4) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✓] ad25.checkm8.com is 0.0.0.0 on lo (127.0.0.1)
[✓] ad25.checkm8.com is 0.0.0.0 on eth0 (192.168.224.30)
[✗] Failed to resolve ad25.checkm8.com on wg0 (10.6.0.1)
The ethernet connectivity seems to work fine, but making the jump to the wg interface is failing.
2021-07-07 12:21:41: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Notice: Undefined variable: piHoleInterface in /var/www/html/admin/settings.php on line 861
2021-07-07 13:22:25: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Notice: Undefined variable: piHoleInterface in /var/www/html/admin/settings.php on line 861
2021-07-07 13:22:33: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Notice: Undefined variable: piHoleInterface in /var/www/html/admin/settings.php on line 861
I am also able to reproduce this and discovered it the other day, but wasn't really sure how to report it since it's a separate software package. I just happened to notice that stuff wasn't working while I was on the road.
What we spotted thus far is that PiVPN/Wireguard isn't resolving .... while IP addresses work, DNS names don't. Reverting back to the pi-hole master branch is the current fix.
That includes (using current beta) VPN is establishing connection perfectly and is able to query via IP BUT is not able to resolve any DNS. Neither Pihole nor pihole-FTL or debug logs were giving any good advice (up til now) rather then WG0 (wireguard[PiVPN]) is failing and this remedies network, gateway etc. for being badly configured or what somehow.
As the only constant which was subject to a change, was checking out above mentioned beta releases (which not seem to work [proven by different OPS]) and reverting back to pi-hole master branch (which instantly makes it work again) is the issue, we're trying to figure out where this is coming from.
I don't think this is an issue as there are more lines like these in your debug log:
Jul 7 00:00:03 dnsmasq: query[PTR] 188.8.131.52.in-addr.arpa from 127.0.0.1
Jul 7 00:00:03 dnsmasq: config 10.6.0.1 is NXDOMAIN
I do run the beta with Wireguard (installed natively not through an external tool) and do not see any issues so we have to find out what is special with the PiVPN configuration.
Reading your posts, it immediately seems to affect your PiVPN-connected devices. Can you give me some lines from /var/log/pihole.log when this happens? I expect to see error messages there. Or is
really anything that showed up in there? If so, we have to find out why your Pi-hole isn't used any more for name resolution. There is no change in this beta that comes to my mind right now when looking at your issue.
after you mentioned there hasn't something changed in regard to such an issue I tried un- and re-install PiVPN(wireguard) moving back and forth beta/master and going with this tut https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/vpn/wireguard/server/ as well (which is quite nice ;))
I still wasn't able to reach anything DNS through VPN.
As I was trying I read the last point of the tut (Set your Pi-hole to listen on all interfaces) and I verified, yes the setting was definitely there. I switched to listen only on interface, saved and reverted back to listen on all interfaces and saved. Boom everything working fine
Maybe dmile and squawkingvfr could try this as well and see if that helps.