PiHole working on all but one device

Hi all,

I just set up Pi-hole (on a laptop running Ubuntu) with my Netgear R7000 running DD-WRT. The DD-WRT settings have the local DNS pointed to the Pi-hole's IP. I also have PiHole set up as the DHCP server and the router is set up as a 'DHCP Forwarder' which forwards to the Pi-hole's IP.

It seems to be working great on pretty much all my devices except my desktop computer which is running Pop! OS (Ubuntu). I verified this by looking at the same page on the desktop and on Google Pixel and of course, it contained ads on my desktop but no ads displayed on the Pixel. I also verified this by checking the query log: pihole is actively blocking queries on all devices but no queries are logged for the desktop. It seems somehow my desktop computer is getting DNS queries resolved elsewhere but I don't know how/why this is happening. It might also be worthy to note that I've been getting intermittent DNS errors and network change errors on this device and not on others and that IPv6 is disabled on the router and the desktop.

I'd appreciate any help you guys have to offer!

Please run from you PC

dig pi.hole

dig flurry.com

dig flurry.com @IP_OF_YOUR_PIHOLE

So I ran the commands. The first two worked just fine but the last one returned a timeout error stating that no servers could be reached.

Please post the complete outputs of these commands (different commands which produce a shorter output):

nslookup pi.hole

nslookup flurry.com

nslookup flurry.com IP_OF_YOUR_PIHOLE (note that the “@“ is not used with nslookup).

Okay here we go:

nslookup pi.hole 

Server:		10.255.255.2
Address:	10.255.255.2#53

** server can't find pi.hole: NXDOMAIN

nslookup flurry.com

Server:		10.255.255.2
Address:    10.255.255.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	flurry.com
Address: 212.82.100.151
Address: 98.136.103.24
Address: 74.6.136.151
nslookup flurry.com 192.168.1.20

;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

192.168.1.20 is the pihole's IP.

The client on which you ran the commands is not using Pi-hole for DNS resolution. It is using a DNS at IP 10.255.255.2

I assumed as much but I don't know why because in the network settings DNS is set to the Pihole's IP (see below). What other setting do I need to change?

Selection_004

Selection_005

The router settings may not be what's in the client. What are the client DNS settings?

The router settings may not be what's in the client. What are the client DNS settings?

I should have been more clear, sorry: those are the network settings on the client. The router settings are here:

Do you have anything else on the client that would change the DNS server? VPN software, etc?

That did the trick! I had windscribe VPN installed. Although it was not running, I noticed there was an extra nameserver entry in the resolv.conf file which I guess the system then uses instead of the pihole even when the VPN isn't running. After removing the VPN, I'm now seeing queries from my desktop and no longer seeing ads. Thanks for your help!!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.