Pihole -up failing

When trying to update I get this:

> pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pihole -up
>   [i] Checking for updates...
>   [i] Pi-hole Core:     update available
>   [i] Web Interface:    update available
>   [i] FTL:              update available
> 
>   [i] Pi-hole core files out of date, updating local repo.
>   [✓] Check for existing repository in /etc/.pihole
>   [i] Update repo in /etc/.pihole...
>   : Could not update local repository. Contact support.

Debug Token: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/0j9rxb2jlo

This is not my area of expertise, but run these commands to reset the local repository and get the update completed:

cd /etc/.pihole

sudo git fetch

sudo git merge

sudo git status

pihole -up

Still same error, but here are the steps between.

> pi@raspberrypi:/etc/.pihole $ sudo git fetch
> pi@raspberrypi:/etc/.pihole $ sudo git merge
> Updating 8d85d46..e41c4b5
> pi@raspberrypi:/etc/.pihole $
> pi@raspberrypi:/etc/.pihole $ sudo git status
> On branch master
> Your branch is behind 'origin/master' by 3796 commits, and can be fast-forwarded.
>   (use "git pull" to update your local branch)
> nothing to commit, working tree clean

I'm open to other ideas. I've also tried to repair the install. I don't believe I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but I would really prefer not to do that option.

Did you run the git pull command? If not, then go back to that directory and run sudo git pull

If I hadn't tried before, I have now:

> pi@raspberrypi:/etc/.pihole $ sudo git status
> On branch master
> Your branch is behind 'origin/master' by 3796 commits, and can be fast-forwarded.
>   (use "git pull" to update your local branch)
> nothing to commit, working tree clean

Are you running any non-supported modifications? Dark theme or speed test?

What does git remote -v show along with git log -n 1

I'm still pretty new to all things Linux, so I wouldn't even know how to run a non-supported mod. So, no dark theme or speed test that I'm aware of. As for the two git commands:

> pi@raspberrypi:/etc/.pihole $ git remote -v
> origin  https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole.git (fetch)
> origin  https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole.git (push)
> pi@raspberrypi:/etc/.pihole $ git log -n 1
> commit 8d85d46c1abf598d6f1b34fb2cfbed9c9ce1a29a
> Author: Dan Schaper <dan@glacialmagma.com>
> Date:   Fri Dec 21 09:06:19 2018 -0800
> 
>     Merge pull request #2556 from pi-hole/release/v4.1.1
> 
>     Release v.4.1.1

That's a really old version. git pull should update everything, is there a reason the version is so outdated? Can you run sudo mount and post the output to make sure the filesystem is not in read-only mode.

I try to update periodically, but pi-hole hasn't worked for many months. Updating the raspberry itself never seems to give errors obvious to me. Here's sudo mount:

> pi@raspberrypi:/etc/.pihole $ sudo mount
> /dev/mmcblk0p7 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
> devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=87784k,nr_inodes=21946,mode=755)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
> tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755)
> tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
> tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
> systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=27,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
> debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
> sunrpc on /run/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw,relatime)
> mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
> configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
> /dev/mmcblk0p6 on /boot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
> tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=18420k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
> tmpfs on /run/user/999 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=18420k,mode=700,uid=999,gid=996)
> gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
> fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
> /dev/mmcblk0p5 on /media/pi/SETTINGS type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)

If you don't have any settings that you need to save then I think the best option is to just delete the /etc/.pihole directory and /var/www/html/admin directory and run the installer again.

What settings would I lose, because I have added things to the white and black list, as well as a few other tweaks about how data is saved. Can any of the settings be saved and loaded later? Biggest question: How do I delete directories? Would I just do:

rm -rf /etc/.pihole
rm -rf /var/www/html/admin
curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash

Would I lose Internet during this process? Just trying to know what I'm in for.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.