PiHole Stats increasing and decreasing erratically

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Stats Should increase throughout the day till reset.

Actual Behaviour:

Stats are continually fluctuating throughout the day. For example, at 4PM there was 7,000 queries, of which 4,000 were blocked, at 4:30 the stats will show 5,000 queries and 3,000 were blocked. I just can think of one good reason why the query and blocked stats will go DOWN unless they’re being reset. This is happening on a daily basis and I have noticed that less and less queries are being blocked. Is this normal behavior for Pi Hole? New to Raspberry Pi and Pi Hole community, so please forgive if this has been discussed before. I found no info online about this.

Debug Token: 7b0jod5ji5!

UPDATE: I reconfigured Pi Hole using pihole -r and received just one error with IP addresses although I used the same exact IP’s and settings.on my first run of pihole -d I received three errors relating to IP’s. The Pi has a static IP assigned. The new/only error now refers to the IPV6 ULA address, I’m not sure how to set that up on ASUS Merlin firmware. I am also unsure if IPV6 Blocking is enabled. Please see newly obtained token. Thanks guys.

This is not the expected behavior. The stats do not reset to zero at the start of each day; they are the running tally for the previous 24 hours. It is normal to have the stats fluctuate through the day, particularly if a high use period exited on the left side of the graph and was replaced by a low use period on the right side. Here are two sample graphs showing spikes in activity - when a spike exits, the totals will adjust downward.

Your debug log shows that you have valid IPv4 and IPv6 IP's assigned to the Pi and that Pi-Hole is listening on both IP's using the ethernet interface.

The IPv6 error shown is not a concern per the note that followed the error:

^ Please note that you may have more than one IP address listed.
   As long as one of them is green, and it matches what is in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf, there is no need for concern.

The link to the FAQ is for an issue that sometimes occurs when the IPv6 address changes, which is why we check for it.

From your debug log, these lines are contained in your configuration file, so IPv6 blocking is enabled.

[2019-04-02 18:13:22.256 27410] Starting config file parsing (/etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf)
   [2019-04-02 18:13:22.257 27410]    RESOLVE_IPV6: Resolve IPv6 addresses
   [2019-04-02 18:13:22.257 27410]    RESOLVE_IPV4: Resolve IPv4 addresses

Thanks for the clarification. I assumed since I never setup the ULA IPv6 address that that might change and cause the errors. Please note that the ULA address has never been added to setup vars config file and I believe that’s what was generating the errors. Please note that I reconfigured Pi when sending that log, but if I reboot my router or the IP changes, won’t that cause the IPV6 error to reappear? I’m trying to add the ULA address via terminal and I get a permission denied error when running this command: echo "IPV6_ADDRESS=${IPV6_ADDRESS}" >> "/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf", of course I’m adding the internal fe80 IP address in place of “IPV6_ADDRESS”.

Yes, but as previously noted, this is an error you can ignore as long as you have an IP address assigned to the Pi.

Have you tried to directly edit the file with sudo nano /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf

Hello jfb,

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll try editing the file via the nano editor when I’m home. Just to verify JFB, when I get the error on PiHole -d stating that address fe80 etc etc does not match what pihole’s configuration has, it’s basically stating that I need to add that fe80 address to the varsconfig file correct? I apologize for all the noobish questions, but networking isn’t my strong point I must admit. And I genuinely appreciate your help. Thanks!

In your debug log, in the DIAGNOSING: Networking section, you show two IPv6 addresses. One of these matches the IP found in your setupVars.conf file, the other does not. As long as one of these matches, you don't need to worry about any others not matching.

The one that does not match in your case is a link-local address. The matching IPv6 is your global address.

Hello again jfb. I tried editing the Vars.config file via the nano editor and the Vars.config file is completely blank. There’s nothing on that file at all.

/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf is empty?

As hard as that is to believe, that’s definitely the case. I see options at the bottom of the file to copy, save, etc. etc., but I tried the command twice and I get no content inside of the file.

What is the output of these commands:

ls -lh /etc/pihole/*.conf

cat /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf

Honestly, I have spent way too much time trying to get this to work error free. I gave it a shot but it’s just too buggy at the moment. I have reinstalled Stretch numerous times, everything seems ok, then things go awry somewhere down the line with IPV6. I tried editing this Vars.config file several different ways and none have yielded results, yet the errors all seem to point at this file. I appreciate all your help and you taking the time out to try and diagnose this problem, but I’m starting to think I’m just going around in circles here. I give up. Again, I genuinely appreciate your time and effort.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.