Pihole Starter Kit Install Problems

I’ve tried to install the Pihole starter kit to my network which has a BT Smarthub modem/router. I followed the instructions but got a number of errors during the install: Index not backed up, FTL engine not installed, blacklists downloads failed, (see screen shot

).
I disabled the Smarthub DHCP and enabled this in the Pihole. Devices on the network where allocated IP address OK but I could not access (or ping) the internet. I guess the install errors could have been down to failure to access the internet.
I’ve found other posts with similar problems but not found anything directly applicable. I’ve since tried reinstalling the Pihole again (with the same basic result) so then tried a repair install. No improvement.
This is similar to other topics but I feel I've got that many areas with errors I don't know where to start to fix them. Please help!

Expected Behaviour:
Working Pihole server.

Actual Behaviour:
Unusable system. (I’ve powered down the Pihole to regain internet access)

Debug Token:
Running pihole -d generated an output log but could not upload it (attachedpihole_debug-sanitized.txt (20.2 KB) ). No debug token was generated.

Which Pi-hole Starter Kit are you referring to?

Hi Dan,
The kit is from Pi Supply and the invoice describes it as 'Pi-hole - The Network-Wide Ad Blocker SKU: PIS-0797'

Regards,

Les

Dan,
This link may be more useful to you:

https://uk.pi-supply.com/products/pi-hole-kit-network-wide-ad-blocker?variant=8171190091893

We've terminated the partnership with Pi-supply and they are no longer giving Pi-hole the funds they collect, instead they are keeping everything.

Have you attempted to contact them for the support they should provide for the purchase? I would suggest getting a refund and going with a more reputable supplier.

That's knocked me for 6! As you'll have seen from the link I sent, Pi-Supply state that: 'Pi-Supply and Pi-hole have partnered together to bring you the Pi-hole Ad Blocker'. It's not surprising that I thought they were as one. The blue link in the quoted text still takes you to Pi-hole website. That's what's really unacceptable.
I have not contacted them for support. I am convinced from Pi-Supply website that I'll not be able to get more than their brief written spiel that assumes everything goes as intended. Therefore my only practical option (if Pi-Hole can't assist me) is to return the kit for a refund which will cost me for return shipping. I'd then be worse off than before I started.
I need: Raspberry Pi SBC; Case ; Power supply; SD card; Pi Hole software. Can you advise a reputable supplier that could provide the technical support needed to get the installation working on my network?

It sounds like you have valid grounds to be unhappy with Pi-Supply. I'm caught in the middle. :frowning:

The Raspberry Pi itself with a case and power supply can be found a few places. The Pi-hole software is free and can be downloaded and installed by anyone and we provide the support for that.

I would try to get a hold of Pi-supply first to see if they can provide any kind of support first to give them a chance.

If that fails then I would just erase the SD Card completely and install the Raspbian Buster Lite image provided free of charge by the Rasperry Pi folks and then run the automated installer for Pi-hole to get that loaded on your device. We can walk you though that process when you get to that stage.

3 Likes

Thanks for that msatter. I tried changing the IP address in /etc/resolv.conf and then reinstall but it made no difference. I'm thinking the problem may be quite basic as the web browser on the Raspberry Pi also can't connect with the internet. I agree with you that it sucks that Pi-Supply are reneging on a financial agreement with Pi-hole. I'm going to contact them later and see if they can provide technical support.

Thanks for that Dan. I've checked the Raspberry Pi and the OS is Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.9 (stretch). I therefore think I must stick with the hardware I've got unless a fundamental problem becomes apparent. I'm going to contact the suppliers shortly.:crossed_fingers:

Before you proceed, you could try an alternative approach to editing /etc/resolv.conf in order to make your RPi use a public DNS server during installation as described in Cannot install Pi-Hole - #120 by Bucking_Horn

(Ignore the first lines, start reading at 'As another attempt')

Raspbian Buster (version 10) has been out for a while now, I don't think there's any benefit to staying at the older version.

I second @DanSchaper thoughts. I would flash a clean image on that card, using Etcher software and Buster Lite. Run the OS updates with sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade, then run the Pi-Hole install command.

This gets you to a known state, whereas using the existing OS install may have unknowns (i.e. unusual passwords, etc.).

1 Like

Well, progress :slightly_smiling_face:
I've installed Raspian Buster on the SD card (and was able to access the internet). I then installed Pihole which went much better.
Currently I'm using Pihole DHCP server but nothings being blocked presently.
I've generated a debug log and my debub token is tricorder.pi-hole.net/czfyi91667
Please can you advise what I need to do to get things set up securely? Thanks

You have Pi-Hole disabled.

** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Setup variables
    BLOCKING_ENABLED=false

Thanks so much jfb! 'pihole enabled' fixed it.

Thanks to everyone who's responded. I couldn't have done it without you :blush:

Problem solved :smile:

I emailed Pi-supply on 13/12/2019 for assistance with the not installing problem (now solved by Pi-hole, (thanks again)). I’ve had acknowledgements but no technical response yet. I’ll let them know that Pi-hole are unhappy with their reneging on the agreement to forward funds for Pi-hole systems sold when a suitable opportunity arise. This will likely be when I respond to their anticipated reply. Regards

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.