PiHole shows no activity

Hello,

I am experiencing a situation that changing DNS server on my router to my synology NAS (I am running pihole in the docker) causing the router forcefully change the local pool from 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.0.1. The synology has 192.168.2.200.

I can change the DNS servers in the "internet connection" which is setting up (dynamically) how the router looks in the UPC network (UPC connect box is in modem mode):

However, there is also an option to change the DNS server for the DHCP server of the router:

I think the second option is correct because my computers visibly show that they are looking firstly to the NAS as a DNS server. However, pihole does not show any activity.

If I go to the network tab in pihole admin, it shows that my computer is not using pihole. What does it mean?

Yes, this looks good. Mind, you need to dis/reconnect clients from the network to pickup new DHCP information.

Please upload a debug log and post just the token that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

Thanks for quick reply.
I moved forward. Pihole started showing queries but does not resolve a single dns querry, no webpages such as news show up.
I am running it in Synology NAS docker, so I am not sure where is the pi terminal in this case.

Debug token:
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/HwIFxUif/

Debug file:
Removed by moderator to protect privacy

What does it show as "reply" in the query log for your received queries?

Do you mean this table?

Which is acutally all queries I have. I put pihole IP address as primary DNS and my router as secondary DNS, this setup let me work now but if I delete the secondary DNS, I loose internet connection as no DNS is resolved in pihole.

Please upload a debug log and post just the token that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/xUo9mJIo/

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Domainlist (0/1 = exact white-/blacklist, 2/3 = regex white-/blacklist)
   id    type  enabled  group_ids     domain                                                                                                date_added           date_modified        comment                                           
   ----  ----  -------  ------------  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  -------------------  -------------------  --------------------------------------------------                                 
   2        3        1  0             1.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa                                                                              2021-08-11 08:47:51  2021-08-11 11:03:55  Added from Query Log                              
   3        3        1  0             200.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa                                                                            2021-08-11 08:48:19  2021-08-11 11:03:51  Added from Query Log                              
   5        3        1  0             (\.|^)in-addr\.arpa$                                                                                  2021-08-11 11:03:40  2021-08-11 11:03:40                                                    

There is no reason to block *arpa requests. Those are valid PTR requests https://www.wikiwand.com/de/PTR_Resource_Record

I added them from the link of ads. Ok deleted.
However, this is not the reason why pihole does not solve dns and therefore all computers use the secondary DNS on my router.

Pi-hole's container doesn't seem to have access to an eth0 interface:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Networking
[✗] No IPv4 address(es) found on the eth0 interface.

You may have to provide the correct INTERFACE as an environment variable for your Pi-hole container if your Docker host does use a different interface.

Looks like a good vector! However, the only option (and the recommended one on some website how to install pihole in docker on synology nas) I can set during setting up of the docker container is:

I know that the interface is ovs_eth0 from checking over ssh. So can I set it up as a variable in the environment to override the settings during the installation? If so, please let me know how, thanks

I have to pass on this one - I don't have a Synology device, so I don't know Synology's Docker UI.

The link I've provided above contains the information for plain Docker, where you'd just add the correct value to the INTERFACE environment variable (e.g. in a docker compose file).

Glancing at your screenshot, I'd guess Synology's UI might expose relevant settings under its Environment tab. Consulting Synology's documentation and support channels for Docker configuration options may yield quicker and better advice than I am able to provide you with.

Ok, no problem. I added INTERFACE as a variable and added ovs_eth0 as I checked over ssh. It is certainly the correct interface. Debug says the following:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Networking
[✓] IPv4 address(es) bound to the ovs_eth0 interface:
192.168.2.200/24 does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf (Use IPv6 ULA addresses for Pi-hole)

and still does not resolve DNS...

setupVars.conf contains following:
PIHOLE_DNS_1=8.8.8.8
PIHOLE_DNS_2=8.8.4.4
WEBPASSWORD=
BLOCKING_ENABLED=true
INSTALL_WEB_SERVER=true
INSTALL_WEB_INTERFACE=true
IPV4_ADDRESS=192.168.2.200
PIHOLE_INTERFACE=ovs_eth0
DNSMASQ_LISTENING=local
QUERY_LOGGING=true

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.