PiHole Router Blocking

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

[I have followed a YouTube tutorial on installing Pi-Hole to Ubuntu server which I have done correct but when following the router instructions it does not work. The guy puts his Pi-Hole IP for the first DNS then another DNS in the second spot in case the Pi-Hole would shutdown. I did the same thing and Ads are not getting blocked what so ever.]

Actual Behaviour:

[However when I just enable the Pi-Hole DNS and release and renew my ip some ads get blocked and it tells me that I have it enabled BUT loading webpages is EXTREMELY slow when this way. I have enabled the DHCP server on the Pi-Hole after disabling it on my router but this wont work out for me as my dekstop isnt the fastest so if the server were to restart it takes aprox. 15 min to start back up. I am using a Blue Cave ASUS router and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have spent hours trying to figure out a way.]

Debug Token:

[789vr46w6q is my debug token]

The better way is to have your router distribute your pi-hole server ip adress as your networks dns server via dhcp. At first I made the same mistake as you describe.
If you want to try out the difference, you can just manually change the dns server ip on your computer to your pihole server. If that works as expected, change back to getting things via dhcp and configure your router to distribute via dhcp.

1 Like

So I would need to go to the DHCP part of my router and for the DNS server put my Pi-Hole’s IP in there? I’ve changed the DNS server part of my router to the Pi-Hole IP before but the time it takes for a page to load takes a lot longer. I still get over 250mbps on my speed test but it just takes longer to connect to the page. I’m currently at work as well, maybe you could help me when I get home? I’m techy but when it comes to networking it’s a little trickier for me.

sorry, can't live-support, also just know my own router.
But yes, basically leave the dns server part of your router alone but change the dhcp part to make your pihole known as dns server for the devices in your network.

Okay I will definitely give that a try! I never thought of that thank you for the insight on that. That should work I would think.

This WORKED! Thank you so much!! Set the DHCP DNS to the IP of the Pi-Hole and works flawless and it even picks up the devices IPs individually along with their names.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.