PiHole randomly crashing?

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

PiHole should not crash.

Actual Behaviour:

I am using my network or computer and sometimes, seemingly randomly, PiHole is crashing. Where I'm unable to resolve DNS, I'm unable to SSH in or pull up the Web UI. The only thing that fixes it is powering my PiHole down by unplugging it and then plugging it back in.

I've been having this problem for a while, and replaced the SD card with a newer larger one (32GB i think).

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/x9ikp87b5i

There's no sign of crashes in the FTL log. If SSH is not working then there's an issue with either the OS itself or more likely the static IP address you have assigned to the Pi-hole.

When things are offline are you able to even ping 192.168.1.20 from a client?

Ssh works normally and after I plug it back in. Pinging when it crashes like this results in zero reply.

As for the OS I ran a repair not too long ago. I guess I could run repair again if.kt might help.

I've set the IP in my router (asus-merlin) DHCP so it is static.

Thank you

Ping failure means either the entire OS is down or the network is not functional. Even if FTL crashed, and I'm not saying it doesn't but it's rare, you'd still have the network functional for ping replies.

The next steps would be to try and ping the IP from the Asus router when it's offline. Check the yellow and green lights on the network port of the Pi to see if they are lit or if they are dark.

Can connect KVM to see what goes wrong :smiley:

I don't know how to ping it from the ASUS router. Do I need to TelNet into the router? I haven't done anything like that before but if you point me in the right direction for a google search I'll definitely try to learn it. I don't recall which lights are which, but the lights I saw were green and lit.

I don't know what KVM is. Isn't that a switch for monitors/workstations?

You have to enable telnet (or maybe its even got SSH) on the router first via the web GUI:

To connect via telnet using a Linux client (and maybe MacOS too):

nc <ROUTER_IP> 23

For Windows:

telnet <ROUTER_IP>

Keyboard Video Mouse though you probably dont need the mouse ... and need to get out the chair :wink:
Login and check basic things like ping or check IP address and if the interface state is UP:

ip a

EDIT: ow and if Raspi, check for "Under-voltage":

dmesg | grep -i voltage

1 Like

[deHakkelaar] It happened again after a power outtage. The power came back on, along with my modem, router, everything. PiHole isn't reachable. I have to powercycle it for it to start up again.

I don't know what you're talking about getting out of the chair - what silly and totally unproductive comment.

As far as Telnet, it isn't available to me in Asus-Merlin firmware. See - No Telnet? | SmallNetBuilder Forums

I'm out of ideas. PiHole has become wildly unreliable for some reason. It doesn't respond to pings, I can't SSH in. The only solution is to powercycle. +

I've seen this as well. Power cycle to reset. I have no further insite to offer.

1 Like

If the lights are still flashing on the network interface then the device isn't completely dead.

This really isn't a Pi-hole problem, but a few more questions.

How are you setting the static IP for the Raspberry Pi? Is the DHCP server on the router aware of the IP address?

I know :smiley:
But sometimes its the last resort if you dont have someone else to do it for you.

If those power outages occur frequently, that wont do the Pi no good.
Most computers dont like power outages when they are writing to disk.
The filesystem on the SD card might be corrupted already to the point where your experiencing those random crashes now.

Yes, static IP is set in my ASUS router, and I see it is connected under the proper IP that is static.

Yes, power outtages are no bueno for filesystems. I'm going to run pihole -r to repair it. Meanwhile, here is a fresh debug code:
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/wzg2ur7axq

Aaaaand v5 is available. So...may as well update and cross my fingers that fixes whatever ghost is in my machine

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.