Pihole not blocking a domain

Newly set up pihole on a pi3. Everything is up to date and Im running unbound behind it as well. Everything is being blocked except for one domain and it's subdomains - applovin.com. The domain is in several of my blocklists including https://blocklistproject.github.io/Lists/ads.txt and I've even added it into manual blocklists, but it keeps getting resolved.

• Pi-hole [v5.15.5]
  • FTL [v5.21]
  • Web Interface [v5.18.4]

restarted DNS to flush cache, and it's still pulling it back:
raspberrypi:~ $ sudo pihole restartdns
[✓] Restarting DNS server
raspberrypi:~ $ nslookup ms.applovin.com 127.0.0.1
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: ms.applovin.com
Address: 34.149.108.182
Name: ms.applovin.com
Address: 2600:1901:0:a285::

Other blocked hosts get the correct 0.0.0.0
nslookup events.gfe.nvidia.com 127.0.0.1
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Name: events.gfe.nvidia.com
Address: 0.0.0.0
Name: events.gfe.nvidia.com
Address: ::

Please upload a debug log and post just the token URL that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/ebO00Elc/

Your debug log shows you've explicitly exempted that specific domain and its subdomains from blocking:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Domainlist (0/1 = (...), 2/3 = regex white-/blacklist)
 id   type  enabled  group_ids     domain                date_added           date_modified
 ---  ----  -------  ------------  --------------------  -------------------  -------------------
 2       2        1  0             (\.|^)applovin\.com$  2023-03-19 18:46:35  2023-03-19 18:46:35

Remove that Regex whitelist entry via Pi-hole's Domain management

OMFG. I thought I put it in as blacklist and not white and must have looked at that screen 43 times. Sorry for wasting your time.

Don't be that harsh to yourself - sometimes, a second pair of eyes comes in handy. :wink:

Next time, you know you could consider to create and check the debug log to help you help yourself (in case you missed it, that's stored in /var/log/pihole/pihole_debug.log).
And if my findings helped you in the end, the time was certainly not wasted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.