Pihole is Active and blocking, but there are still a lot of ads appear

Expected Behaviour:

Pihole to block ads from speedtest.net, piratebay:

• Hardware : OrangePi 3 LTS
  • Previously I used Raspberry Pi 4 with Rasp OS lite (similar issues)

Actual Behaviour:

Pihole is active, DHCP server already set to use the pihole. In the dashboard it said it's blocking around 40%, however there still ads when I surf the internet. The ads appear as usual as if no Adblock is being used. It is a stark contrast compared to if I'm using the Adguard chrome extension, where there will be no ads. I had to add more adlist, until now my adlist is around 2 million, but there are still ads appear on my PC, android phone and ipads.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/W4IEBvtN/

This is the nslookup

nslookup pi.hole
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  fe80::1

*** UnKnown can't find pi.hole: Non-existent domain

This is the ipconfig (the DNS is correct on the OrangePi)

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1%16

Thanks

One cannot compare a browser plugin to pi-hole, which is basically a DNS filter. That is, pi-hole will block entire domains' IP address look ups, causing the browser to fail to load that content.

A browser plugin, by contrast, can inspect the content once it is retrieved. This allows much finer control over what is or isn't rendered even if all from the same, non-blocked domain.

This client is not using Pi-hole for DNS.

In addition to jfb's recommendations for removing 1.1.1.1 from your router's DHCP DNS configuration, your ipconfig output shows your router's link-local IPv6 address.

This indicates that your router is advertising its own IPv6 address as DNS server, allowing your clients to by-pass Pi-hole via IPv6.

You'd have to find a way to configure your router to advertise your Pi-hole host machine's IPv6 as DNS server or to stop advertising its own.

You'd have to consult your router's documentation sources on further details for its IPv6 configuration options.

If your router doesn't support configuring IPv6 DNS, you could consider disabling IPv6 altogether.

If your router doesn't support that either, your clients will always be able to bypass Pi-hole via IPv6.

Indeed, when i used different router, pihole works perfectly.
Thank you very much to all contributed.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.