PiHole + HMA

I have a paid Hide My *ss subscription. And I wanted to use this on all of my devices instead of one. SO if I changed the IP location then this way all my devices access the same IP.

Can it be configured on pihole ?

Pi-hole is an ad-blocker intended to be used on a local network. HMA is an external VPN service.

When you connect to HMA you are sending all your traffic to them. This would normally include your DNS requests so that everything goes through the VPN.

In HMA's case this is not clear. Their Privacy Policy states that "We rely on our own secure DNS servers". But a support article states "When connected to our VPN service, you're automatically using the OpenDNS servers".

It's probably best to contact HMA support and ask them to clarify how DNS is managed and whether or not you can use your own Pi-hole while connected. Note that if you use Pi-hole, the upstream servers you have specified will be seeing your DNS traffic.

There are lots of reasons you might use a commercial VPN service, but if you're only using it for the supposed privacy they provide then they are asking you to trust them instead of trust your ISP. Unfortunately a lot of these commercial VPN services using fear mongering to get customers and make meaningless promises like "keep you safe from hackers".

One reason you might use such a service is for access to geo-restricted services in another country, or if they have servers for a dedicated function such as low latency gaming.

If you trust your ISP, and don''t need access to those kind of services, you can achieve a great level of privacy for free by running Pi-hole and your own Unbound DNS in recursive mode. Pi-hole will blackhole the stuff you don't want to reach, and the stuff you do want goes to Unbound running on the same device, and Unbound does recursive lookups to resolve the domains directly. No need to send it all to Google or someone else to look at.

It's very simple to install, just follow the official Pi-hole Unbound guide carefully and methodically all the way through, step by step.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.