pihole has a Error or DNS setup that slows my browser load down alot

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

[normal speed, as soon as i turn off pihole, it works normal speed. I have edgerouter X as router. Unifi ap, DNS in router etc. Have worked for longtime, all of a sudden in december startet getting worse. ]

Actual Behaviour:

[Long loading screens on everything, speciel social media]

Debug Token:

[https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/o33tbskbdk

]

Your debug log is normal and shows that Pi-hole is working properly. The only service Pi-hole provides is DNS resolution, and with the IP in hand the browser gets that content independently of Pi-hole.

Try this test - time DNS lookups for both Pi-hole and a separate upstream DNS server:

time dig cnn.com

time dig abc.com @1.1.1.1

If the times are not significantly different, then Pi-hole is not the cause of any DNS lookup delay.

Please elaborate. You have the DNS of Pi-hole specified in your router, or the router is providing a separate DNS service?

Hey! thanks for answering
the dns in router was meant as the router "edgerouter X" deliveres the dns to the network pointing to the pihole instance, and as backup 8.8.8.8, think i read somewhere that i had to use a dns masqurade setting in edgerouter or was it pihole to get the names instead of ip to show up, and use dns forward options aswell. not sure tho, could be edgerouter dns settings thats wrong

think i solved it actully ! sorry!
sometimes you just gotta say things outloud :stuck_out_tongue:
anyway, read about the dns-forward option, tried it, then it was all router ip in pihole log, i wanted names from devices! so turned it all of, and only have dns in dhcp server, turned of dns forward, and set router dns to its own, so far, normal speed has been restored! will test for now and get back if this is the soloution!

yea not a full solution :frowning: still a rather difference with pihole of or on.

stil failing. And as soon as I turn it off.
Puff fast web browsing again.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.