PiHole GUI Password Requirements - SOLVED

Expected Behaviour:

Reset password on SSH using sudo pihole -a -p using a complicated password, e.g.:
Huiefh2348768324SDFH3242#
SSH returns New Password set.
Login to GUI using new password.

Actual Behaviour:

Reset password on SSH using sudo pihole -a -p using a complicated password, e.g.:
Huiefh2348768324SDFH3242#
SSH returns New Password set.
Login to GUI using new password fails.

Debug Token:

Notes:

I have tried to narrow down this issue by tryning many passwords but can't work out what the password requirements are. I did Google but couldn't find any appropriate info.
I can set a blank password and the GUI works.
I can set a simple password (12345) and the GUI works.
As soon as I start using long and complicated passwords, the login fails.

Two questions:
What are the password requirements when setting through SSH for the GUI?
Can we do some error checking on the password change script to error out if we are using a bad password, rather than saying all is ok?

I can't actually replicate that.

I used your example password, and I was able to login without any issue (used Firefox) ...

No requirements or limitations (You can use special characters even emoji if you prefer)

There is no need as this will not address any issues.

1 Like

So yeah, I don't know why I couldn't get this to work for three hours earlier but I just used that password now (I hadn't previously) and it worked. I then tried the one that I was using (similar format) and it also worked?

I can only assume fat fingers so please ignore me and give me a virtual kick up the arse for wasting your time checking this out RamSet!

Can I buy you a beer?

A virtual one works ... i'm a Corona type of guy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll stick a donation into thePiHole pot then - thanks again!

1 Like

It may have failed if you typed it in as:

pihole -a -p Huiefh2348768324SDFH3242#

Because # is the start of a comment in Bash, so your real password would be Huiefh2348768324SDFH3242

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.