PiHole GUI Password Requirements - SOLVED

Expected Behaviour:

Reset password on SSH using sudo pihole -a -p using a complicated password, e.g.:
Huiefh2348768324SDFH3242#
SSH returns New Password set.
Login to GUI using new password.

Actual Behaviour:

Reset password on SSH using sudo pihole -a -p using a complicated password, e.g.:
Huiefh2348768324SDFH3242#
SSH returns New Password set.
Login to GUI using new password fails.

Debug Token:

Notes:

I have tried to narrow down this issue by tryning many passwords but can’t work out what the password requirements are. I did Google but couldn’t find any appropriate info.
I can set a blank password and the GUI works.
I can set a simple password (12345) and the GUI works.
As soon as I start using long and complicated passwords, the login fails.

Two questions:
What are the password requirements when setting through SSH for the GUI?
Can we do some error checking on the password change script to error out if we are using a bad password, rather than saying all is ok?

0 Likes

I can’t actually replicate that.

I used your example password, and I was able to login without any issue (used Firefox) …

No requirements or limitations (You can use special characters even emoji if you prefer)

There is no need as this will not address any issues.

1 Like

So yeah, I don’t know why I couldn’t get this to work for three hours earlier but I just used that password now (I hadn’t previously) and it worked. I then tried the one that I was using (similar format) and it also worked?

I can only assume fat fingers so please ignore me and give me a virtual kick up the arse for wasting your time checking this out RamSet!

Can I buy you a beer?

0 Likes

A virtual one works … i’m a Corona type of guy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll stick a donation into thePiHole pot then - thanks again!

1 Like

It may have failed if you typed it in as:

pihole -a -p Huiefh2348768324SDFH3242#

Because # is the start of a comment in Bash, so your real password would be Huiefh2348768324SDFH3242

0 Likes

closed #10

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes