Pihole doesnt block any ads

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Pi-hole should be blocking ads

Actual Behaviour:

Pi-hole is not blocking ads

Debug Token:

I used pihole -d but couldn't upload it because the internet does not work on the rpi except for opening the pi-hole admin page. I cannot open any pages except for the pi-hole admin page.

I have a Netgear C6300 router and I installed pi-hole with all default settings and used Cloudflare DNS. So after setting it up, I disabled the DHCP server on my router settings page and enabled DHCP server on the pi-hole admin page. But it doesn't work. Please help me. Thank you.

If the internet is broken on the RPi device then Pi-hole has no way to resolve domain names from the internet.

So I got it working. Now, only the ads on raspberry pi are being blocked.

I see under the currently active DHCP devices that my laptop and phone are being used but it doesn't block ads on these devices.

Provide us a pihole -d token now that you have network connectivity. And please check the laptop client to see exactly which DNS servers are being used.

Here's the debug token: 74y8g0gmwj

and here are the DNS servers being used

The only DNS servers that should be listed are the IPs of the Pi-hole. Any other listed DNS server will be used and will bypass any blocking provided by the Pi-hole DNS.

I'm sorry I do not have much knowledge in this issue but I read that since I have my DHCP server enabled on pi-hole and DHCP server disabled on my router I do not need to do anything else. Isn't that correct?

In my router settings, I have for DNS settings as Get Automatically from ISP

In my router settings, I have for DNS settings as Get Automatically from ISP

That is your problem. Your router is overwriting DNS settings. You need to log into the admin side of the pihole, set a list of forwarders (I recommend OpenDNS personally) and then set your router to look at the IP address of the PiHole.

The way you currently have it set up, DNS is being provided to clients from the router and bypassing the pihole entirely. The router MUST look to the pihole for external DNS forwarding, then the Pihole will try and resolve any outside queries based off of it's internal block table. Pi Hole is just a local DNS server and you need all of your devices to look to it to get the benefit.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.