Pihole doesn't block ads when shifting back to router for DHCP ( switched of pihole DHCP ) but works the other way around

Expected Behaviour:

dhcp of router should work

Actual Behaviour:

only pihole DHCP server works

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/Wh9JcxeY/

You have your router configured to provide its own IP for DNS - it is not distributing the Pi-hole IP for DNS:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Discovering active DHCP servers (takes 10 seconds)
   Scanning all your interfaces for DHCP servers
   Timeout: 10 seconds

* Received 300 bytes from eth0:192.168.1.1
     Offered IP address: 192.168.1.6
     Server IP address: N/A
     Relay-agent IP address: N/A
     BOOTP server: (empty)
     BOOTP file: (empty)
     DHCP options:
      Message type: DHCPOFFER (2)
      server-identifier: 192.168.1.1
      lease-time: 86400 ( 1d )
      netmask: 255.255.255.0
      router: 192.168.1.1
      dns-server: 192.168.1.1
      --- end of options ---

DHCP packets received on interface eth0: 1

Thanks for the reply jfb. Sorry, im a bit of a noob, could you please guide me how to fix this ? I use orbi50 router.

I'm not familiar with that particular model and make of router.

Go to the router DHCP settings (normally in the LAN settings). For DNS server, enter only the Pi-hole IP. If the router configuration lets you, enter the Pi-hole IP in both available blocks. If it won't let you do that, put an unused IP from your LAN range in the second slot.

Then renew the DHCP leases on all clients.

worked like a charm . DNS settings is under internet settings for orbi . Thanks for the help . have a great day :slight_smile:

Just a note:

Routers usually have 2 different DNS settings:

• one for the internet / WAN (you set this one);
  • another for Local Network (LAN), usually set on the DHCP settings (jfb was talking about this one).

This is a different DNS setting, but I'm not sure if your router has the second type.

That's correct my router doesn't support DHCP dns server setting and I need to change the dns at client level (read about it after jfb suggestion). I just happen to change the dns in internet settings section and things worked. Also when I use pihole as the DHCP server do the DNS server responsibilities also shift to pihole ? ( meaning I don't have to change the dns at client level, this was the case when I was using pihole as DHCP server )

Yes. If you use Pi-hole as DHCP server, Pi-hole will advertise itself as DNS server and all devices will be able to use it. No need to manually set every device.

Ah got it , so any idea how is it that it is working for me with me changing server of WAN ? I did see at a few places that we can change WAN to pihole's ip address and it works . is this solution correct ?

Yes. There are more than one way to use Pi-hole.

When you configure Pi-hole IP on the LAN/DHCP side:

• the router advertises Pi-hole IP as DNS server;
  • every device on your network will directly use Pi-hole as DNS server

Setting Pi-hole on the WAN side also works, but with a small difference:

• every device on your network will use the router IP as DNS server
  • only the router will use Pi-hole as upstream DNS server

Pi-hole will block ads in both cases.

These topics can help you understand the differences:

Thank you for all the help . Much appreciate it .. cheers

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.