Pihole does not block IPV6 traffic

No luck :frowning:

modprobe ipv6 or sudo modprobe ipv6 does not give any output.

I appended the to lines you suggested and changed the private to hardware. Still no luck.

try rebooting and if you still don't have an ipv6 then set it up via /etc/network/interfaces

Had to create /etc/network/interfaces

added the following lines:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet6 auto

Nothing yet. I'm considering using a pi zero I have (doing nothing currently) with a clean install of CoreOS or simular.

ps. I rebooted in between as well.

I am running one instance of Pi-Hole on a pi zero w and it's been stable since day 1 (running raspbian stretch).

What operating system do you use on it?

Thanks for your help so far by the way!

Rasbian Stretch :slight_smile:

I will give it a try tomorrow!

I just did a fresh install of Rasbian Stretch on my rpi zero. I had a IPV6 address this time under ifconfig, so yeey! :slight_smile:

Installed pi-hole and asked it to configure ipv4 and ipv6. At the final screen is says that ipv6 is still not configured. When I run pihole -d it tells me:

IPv6 address(es) bound to the eth0 interface:
   fe80::XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf

I'm a bit lost with the explanation of the FAQ to which is linked. Should I change anything in my router?

ps my token is qxkinwmpgt

your raspberry did not retain the IPV6 assigned to it when you installed it.
you can

that will make the IPV6 a little more stable.

After that, you have to run pihole -r and repair (so that the new IPV6 is set-up).

Or you could edit /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf and under IPV6= update the values to your current IPV6.

Also make sure that your current IPV6 is the actual IPV6 DNS on your clients.

I changed the slaac private to slaac hardware and rebooted the pi.

I ran pihole -r and pihole -d thereafter. I still get the same error. When i edit /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf I find IPV6_ADDRES= to be empty.

I will try filling in the ipv6 address i have now.

pihole -d says ipv6 is configured now. I do however get some error messages for resolving ipv6 addresses.

debug token: ohavomyn0q

see if nslookup ipv6.google.com is resolving properly .

Also nslookup -query=AAAA flurry.com should give you your pi-hole IPV6 ip

On my pi with pihole nslookup ipv6.google.com gives:

Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
ipv6.google.com canonical name = ipv6.l.google.com.

And nslookup -query=AAAA flurry.com does not resolve either. Whereas nslookup -query=A flurry.com does resolve to my pi's local ipv4 address.

Now when I run these commands from my desktop computer I get the following:

nslookup -query=AAAA flurry.com

gives

Server:         127.0.1.1
Address:        127.0.1.1#53

*** Can't find flurry.com: No answer

Authoritative answers can be found from:
flurry.com
        origin = hidden-master.yahoo.com
        mail addr = hostmaster.yahoo-inc.com
        serial = 2018053100
        refresh = 28800
        retry = 7200
        expire = 604800
        minimum = 600

And nslookup -query=A flurry.com

gives

Server: 127.0.1.1
Address: 127.0.1.1#53

Name:   flurry.com
Address: 98.136.103.26
Address: 74.6.136.153
Address: 212.82.100.153

AAAA is the IPV6 query. If it doesn't resolve it means that an IPV6 DNS was not queried (in this case, found).

127.0.1.1 is strange. That request should go through the DNS server and not your loopback IP.

(What are your DNS settings on the client/desktop ?)

This result should return the pi-hole IP not the actual IPs of that domain. This shows that your DNS request leaked and it didn't hit the pi-hole DNS.

This might have been a caching issue on my desktop pc.

Running nmcli dev show | grep DNS gives

IP4.DNS[1]:                             192.168.1.202
IP6.DNS[1]:                             2001:b88:1002::10
IP6.DNS[2]:                             2001:b88:1202::10
IP6.DNS[3]:                             2001:730:3e42:1000::53

When I ran nslookup -query=A flurry.com another two times, the second time it resolved to

Server:         127.0.1.1                                                                                           
Address:        127.0.1.1#53                                                                                        

Address: 192.168.1.202

It looks like my ipv6 dns server is still a public dns from my provider. I have the pihole as my dhcp server with IPV6 support on.

You are using a combination of DNS servers here.

Have a look at this:

What you need to make sure is that your IPV6 DNS server, matched the IPV6 IP of the pi-hole device.

I guess my router (given by my provider) is somehow still advertising my providers ipv6 DNS server address in my local network. I know the thing is buggy since it cannot even reliably do static addresses for DHCP.

You could use Pi-hole as your DHCP server ...

I have already done this and disabled the one my router :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.