PiHole DHCP server - Windows 10 PC loses wifi ipv4 connection

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using nginx instead of lighttpd, or there is some other aspect of your install that is customised) - please use the Community Help category.

Expected Behaviour:

Pihole configured as DNS and DHCP server working normally

Actual Behaviour:

Windows 10 Laptops lose Wifi connection 2-4 times a week.
Running ipconfig shows that ipv6 address is assigned but not the ipv4
Mobile phones connected via WiFi work fine and wifi doesn't drop.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/9kxsz5qv9x

Renew the DHCP lease on one of the Win laptops, then look in /var/log/pihole.log for the DHCP transactions. Any errors?

I tried that when it happened but it couldn't reach the dhcp server.

media disconnected

That screenshot indicates a hardware problem with your PC's network equipment. Either your Ethernet cable or ports are faulty or unplugged, or your WiFi is dropping connections (which there are plenty of potential causes for).

That would be in line with your observation that other devices have no problem with Pi-hole's DHCP or DNS, so it doesn't look like a Pi-hole issue.

I assumed it said that because i was not using those connections.

Let me investigate further on the microsoft support page.

I agree, this does not look like a bug.

unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

This is the problem.

@Joao_Silva

Please

as asked by @jfb.

You can also run

echo "log-dhcp" | sudo tee /etc/dnsmasq.d/99-debug-dhcp.conf
pihole restartdns

and then

tail -f /var/log/pihole.log

When you reconnect your clients from now on, you should see the DHCP leases your Pi-hole hands out to your clients. Try this with a few clients you know are working and then with the Windows 10 PC that is not working. Compare the results and everything should get much obvious.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.